Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie question...  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Phreakoftheweek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie question...
« on: March 14, 2004, 06:32:53 PM »
Although I have more music than I can listen to, I want to jump into the taping game.  I want to start out simple with board patches(I catch a lot of small shows) or patch into someone elses rig.  I am thinking about a used D7/D8 or a JB3 to start out and building from there.  I have tons of questions but I will start with these couple first...

I understand that both the D8 and JB3 have built in ADC.  My qustion is this, If I patch into someones rig and they have say a V3 or minime.  Is the signal coming back into my D8 or JB3 digital or only enhanced since its been through their ADC or is my built-in ADC in the D8 or JB3 doing the conversion? Same question with a DSBD patch, can I safely assume that I am getting a digital signal (since it is a digital soundboard) or is the D8's/JB3 ADC doing the conversion.  Is the built-in ADC on the D8 and JB3 good enough to produce recordings that I could spread to others?? I apologize if these are dumb questions but I've got to start somewhere.  I've got plenty of other questions but I will start with these first.

Offline Swampy

• Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:Newbie question...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 06:45:34 PM »
Hey, If you get a d8 and patch out with a spdif > 7 pin then their pre would be doing the A>D, most sbds would be analog out so then the d8 would be doing the a>d, but if you got a digital out then the board would be doing the a>d. It would be fine to circulate a tape with the d8/jb3 doing the a>d IMO.

[shamless plug on] I have a recently serviced D8 and an active prodigital 7 pin cable for sale. This is everything you would need to start patching, a great patchers rig IMO. Id probably let the pair go for $420 if you are intersted. [shamless plug off] ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 06:46:27 PM by Alex "swampy" Herd »

Offline Phreakoftheweek

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 07:30:17 PM »
I am interested but I would not be able to swing it until next week (gotta shell out $800 in the morning for rent).  If this sounds good to you shoot me an email at daylan_white@hotmail.com and maybe we can set something up.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 07:56:58 PM »
As long as you're getting a digital signal both types of recorders will not use thier onboard ad units.

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 09:02:45 PM »
Although I have more music than I can listen to...

bwahahaha, that is too funny! I know I'm in the same boat- welcome aboard. I'll throw my vote for the jb3. Simple to use and no media to worry about.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 01:13:29 AM »
I would recommend the jb3 as well, and if you can afford it, get a UA-5 or some other A/D out front since it will be better than the one in the JB3.
Mike

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com