Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what methods do you use to apply a "bass roll-off" in post..?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
compression..?

EQ..?

both..?

what type(s)? how much?

I know alot of this is subjective, but I would like to know how some of you go about this task, as well as your thoughts on the matter...

thanks for any, and all, input and assistance.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re:what methods do you use to apply a "bass roll-off" in post..?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 08:29:47 PM »
I don't use any techniques after the fact, however the recording came out i leave it pretty much alone, except if the recording volume was a bit low i'll raise it a few db's.  It's mostly because i'm very much a newbie when it comes to tinkering with Audition regarding cleaning up a recording of mine.  :(
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 01:24:39 AM »
yeah I tend to stick with EQ, I just got done mastering a recital I taped for a friend of mine, I wanted to keep things simple so I used a cool edit preset called "simple bass lift".  there was also a "simple bass cut".
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline sickrick43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 07:31:35 AM »
I don't use any techniques after the fact, however the recording came out i leave it pretty much alone, except if the recording volume was a bit low i'll raise it a few db's.  It's mostly because i'm very much a newbie when it comes to tinkering with Audition regarding cleaning up a recording of mine.  :(

(Not to thread hijack, but) - Gloco,

Did you stealth that Frampton?  He's coming down here to SunFest soon, and I was wondering if he was hip to taping...

If I've GOT to roll off some bass, I usually use a parametric or graphic, or setup a low-pass filter.

What editing app are you using?

Rick
who doesn't think he can stealth TLM170's (but stranger things have happened).
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

cleantone

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 01:52:15 PM »
Do you need to reduce the low end or cut out a low rumble or what? Obviously EQing can do both. What exactly are you looking for for an answer?

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 01:55:25 PM »
its all so dependant on the recording.  having huge multiband eq's in software such as sound forge and wavelab makes it so that you really dont need any sort of preset rolloff, you can just gauge it recording by recording

Offline Sugarite

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 02:13:44 PM »
Bass rolloff by definition is a high-pass filter (EQ) set to a low frequency, usually 50-150Hz.  Any other process addresses another aspect to the sound.  For example a rumble filter is not bass rolloff, though having rolloff engaged and/or using a shockmount during recording might have prevented the need for a rumble filter.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 06:41:35 PM »

(Not to thread hijack, but) - Gloco,

Did you stealth that Frampton?  He's coming down here to SunFest soon, and I was wondering if he was hip to taping...

If I've GOT to roll off some bass, I usually use a parametric or graphic, or setup a low-pass filter.

What editing app are you using?

Rick
who doesn't think he can stealth TLM170's (but stranger things have happened).

Yeah, i did stealth the Frampton show, i'm totally clueless as to his thoughts about live taping so i snuck in my minidisc without any hassles.  The show wasn't too bassy, but i do recall his vocal monitor being a bit low compared to the rest of the band.  I use Adobe Audition, but then again, i'm totally clueless to how to use its features.  I stick to cd wave for transferring shows.  
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 08:37:59 PM »
thanks for the replies...

I've been running DPA (4060) > SBM-1 (line-in) > d8

the bass can be boomy. when played back on my primary system, which is really top notch, the recordings sound great. But when played back on car stereos, or on my Karma, they are really bass heavy...

While I have the switchable batt box, I never use it because I run line-in. I guess I could buy the -22db att cable (signal s too hot otherwise), and use the rolloff filter and go mic-in, but isn't there a way I can set all this in software, doing what the box does with hardware?

thinking about it, I could use that as a starting point, and fine tune on a case by case basis. Some don't need anything - acoustic and/or non-PA shows. But the floor at Primus, GBA, and surely Phish in a few weeks :) can come out  quite boomy, and I would like to get rid of some of that, if possible...

for seeding, I just include a rough approximation via a foobar EQ setting, so the FLACs are unaltered...

but for CDs I burn for my non-taper/trader friends, and for my own curiosity, I would like to know what options I have via software...

Thanks again for all of the assistance and interest.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 08:40:01 AM »
If you have a tape that has a lot of bass, you could probably get pretty close to which freqs you need to roll-off by running the spectrum analyzer, and lower it dependent on which low-end freqs are appearing really loud.

hth
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 02:33:40 PM »
I recently picked up MIX magazine's "Mixing Engineer's handbook"  Which has  a great section on EQ.  It's in the context of mixing multi-track, but the insights on what to do with a parametric EQ are golden.  I recommend it highly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com