Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How split do split omnis need to be?  (Read 22019 times)

Offline johnnyrockstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: How split do split omnis need to be?
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
trying out a new setup for some serious split on my CA14 omnis.   using a telescopic antenna - its really compact and i can extend to 42" wide.   probably will run around 36".....

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Nice.

If you set things up at the venue by attaching the microphones to the antenna before attaching the antenna to the stand, then after attaching the mics you can simply spin the antenna around it's own axis to wrap and un-wrap the mic cable around the ariels as shown in your photo.  I started out using the TV antennas that way.

Alternately, you can pre-attach the mics to the antenna, extending the ariels as wide as you plan to use them, and instead of wraping the cables, pull each wire straight and snug and place a small wrap of a gaff tape (like a 1/4" wide strip) just inboard of the end of each telescopic section.  That works well for keeping it pre-rigged, yet easily collapsable for stowage and transport.  When retracted, the cable will form loose loops at each telescoping section.  Extended, the cable will be straight and snug.  I do it so the cable is in the horizontal plane of the antenna, rather than suspended underneath it, which minimizes the visual profile.  From in front or behind, one cannot really see the cable at all.  It's only really visible in profile from underneath looking up.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »
The pink things holding the mics are pencil erasers slotted to hold the mic cables, which was M0k3's 4060 mounting technique idea.

Thanks, Gutbucket and M0k3 for the idea! I was just wondering how to mount this kind of mic on an antenna without tie-clip, clamp, etc. Now I need to get two of those pre-backspace key era accessories. And a prehistoric antenna...  ;D I'm old enough to remember though!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 04:02:24 AM by TSNéa »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
Meh, they never worked that well for me.   Can't just cut a slot with a razor and have it retain the cable and microphone securely.  Maybe if you made an effort to drill a hole the diameter of the cable then make a razor slot to the hole.  I just use gaffer tape.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Gutbucket.

I never thought I will ever search the Internet for different shapes of erasers...  ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com