Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

First show in almost 10 years.. what am I forgetting?

<< < (3/3)

u2_fly_2:
You are set, have a great time at the concert and let us know how the taping went.

dgodwin:

--- Quote from: u2_fly_2 on January 11, 2018, 02:52:23 PM ---You are set, have a great time at the concert and let us know how the taping went.

--- End quote ---

All went well!  Couldn't monitor the gear as the best spot to set up that the (oversold) venue offered was above the basement stairs, to the right of the sbd.   I set the levels conservatively and enjoyed the show with my wife (also first time taping with her,) and had a good time. 

https://archive.org/details/guster2018-01-11.flac16

fanofjam:

--- Quote from: dynamicalories on January 11, 2018, 01:01:52 PM ---Man you guys drag a lot of stuff around! Pliers? Pencil and paper? Protractor? Don't forget the handheld jigsaw, hammer, nails, and wood glue.

--- End quote ---

The little stuff saves shows when stuff happens, and it always does.  The multi-tool is standard fare for stuck threads or when a screwdriver or pry bar is needed.  So is a flashlight and tape.  I use screens indoors in case of ceiling fans and also on the very rare occasions someone trips on my stand and the mics hit the deck.  The screens are great shock absorbers.

I've never bothered with a protractor.  Here's a tip...at home spread your fingers out as far as they can go and measure between the tips of your thumb and pinky finger.  You won't be too far from 20cm but whatever your personal spread, you can use that to get spacing pretty close. 

For angles, 90 degrees is easy to eyeball using floors and walls to help with right angles.  Then if you want 110, just set your mics at 90 degrees and open the angle just a little bit more on both sides.  Close enough. 

u2_fly_2:

--- Quote from: dgodwin on January 12, 2018, 09:48:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: u2_fly_2 on January 11, 2018, 02:52:23 PM ---You are set, have a great time at the concert and let us know how the taping went.

--- End quote ---

All went well!  Couldn't monitor the gear as the best spot to set up that the (oversold) venue offered was above the basement stairs, to the right of the sbd.   I set the levels conservatively and enjoyed the show with my wife (also first time taping with her,) and had a good time. 

https://archive.org/details/guster2018-01-11.flac16

--- End quote ---

Thank you very much sounds really great! Hope you´ll keep it up.

VolunteerOfLife:
::Scribbles notes feverishly at work::

Never thought about a small towel. And 50% of what I record is at bars. Yikes!

Also having written authority from the band/mgmt/venue is a phenomenal idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version