Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Who repairs Nakamichi cassette decks nowadays?

<< < (21/21)

rocksuitcase:

--- Quote from: psk31 on September 07, 2022, 04:11:33 PM ---Resurrecting this old thread to keep the subject title current. I'm looking for a Nakamichi repair facility/individual here in Canada. Most of the guys still doing this work south of the border don't wish to take on international jobs. My RX-202 coming out of deep hibernation is in need of some TLC. Any thoughts, suggestions?

--- End quote ---
I just ran into this guy's description in tapeheads.net: Leon(The Audiomayvin, Montreal(514)739-5403)                 He has incredible knowledge and is actively repairing Nak's in Montreal.

tedyun:
I just wanted to add another person out here in the Bay Area, if Willy Hermann is not an option: Paul Strickland runs a repair shop in Daly City. He goes by clamsterdamm over on Tapeheads.

I bought a ZX-7 from another Tapehead member in San Jose, and it worked fine for a bunch of cassette transfers. I lent it to the owner of those cassettes (long story), and he accidentally broke the door. I could still load a cassette by aligning it, but after a few more plays, I stopped getting audio.

Fortunately, I found Paul, and he took the deck in. He fixed the door, and the playback issue was caused by aging, deteriorating capacitors (Orange Cap Disease), so he replaced them. I also asked him to replace the unaffected ones. He replaced the belts, tuned it up, etc. I thought his price for parts and labor was pretty reasonable - $400.

Paul Strickland
408-507-4890

DMLiveWiki:
I'd like to add a recommendation for Gerhard at The Vintage Audio near the Lakeland, FL area. He is phenomenal and did great work restoring my Nakamichi MR-1. I visited him several times and he is a wealth of knowledge and very personable. It was cool to see his shop and his repair methods. He even helped me out with digitization of a reel-to-reel tape a couple of years ago.

ts:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on December 13, 2022, 05:29:58 PM ---I am so excited to get the email that my Nak 680 has been restored and modified to all Nak update bulletins for it. Scott at Ohm was thorough.

He replaced the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. also replaced the electrolytic and film capacitors in the Azimuth Detector circuit. then replaced the electrolytic, film and ceramic capacitors in the PB Eq. Amp, the Record Amp, and the Bias Oscillator circuits. And other maintenance type stuff.

I have to drive 3 hours each direction to pick it up, and I drove it there in May, but it is worth the time. I still have 3-400 non GD cassette masters to take off.   :o

--- End quote ---

I'm assuming this is the OHM in Ithaca. I called him last week and he's backed up for 2 months. I'm in no hurry as my deck is working right now, but gets touchy. Motor dead spots. I used to have a local guy (Scranton/Wilkes Barre area) work on my decks, but he won't touch Naks anymore. You would think Audio Classics in Binghamton would work on them, but they do not return my calls. Ithaca is only a 90 minute drive for me, so I'll wait for him I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version