Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Compression?

<< < (5/5)

morst:

--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 06, 2018, 06:14:17 PM ---I personally find automation to be significantly less natural than a well set comp/limiter for stuff like this. Just personal preference though.

--- End quote ---
Micro or macro?

I do little bitty (well under one second most of the time) volume fixes with the envelope tool and it's brutal but effective.
I also do broad fixes with the envelope tool (Audacity is my main DAW software) and find it super useful.

I do my final limiting with an automated plugin, but I get things pretty tight and consistent before I do that.

EmRR:

--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 06, 2018, 06:14:17 PM ---I personally find automation to be significantly less natural than a well set comp/limiter for stuff like this. Just personal preference though.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I might guess it's in how you use either one.  I'm used to automating volume down to the syllable level on vocal tracks before feeding them into a compressor.  Much much less on program material like a live show 2 track.  Limiter touching the errant peaks there.   There are devices that are AGC's (automatic gain control) which react more slowly than most compressors, and also crossover into expansion from compression, so the threshold is more of a center line.  I'm not aware of any software AGC's, but there must be some. 

opsopcopolis:

--- Quote from: morst on December 07, 2018, 03:39:37 AM ---

--- End quote ---
Micro or macro?

I do little bitty (well under one second most of the time) volume fixes with the envelope tool and it's brutal but effective.
I also do broad fixes with the envelope tool (Audacity is my main DAW software) and find it super useful.

I do my final limiting with an automated plugin, but I get things pretty tight and consistent before I do that.

--- End quote ---

It's more context than micro vs macro. In multis, sure. I just don't like hearing the entire thing go up and down. I find a well set limiter to be way more transparent (I'm also kinda lazy)

morst:

--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 07, 2018, 06:41:52 PM ---I find a well set limiter to be way more transparent (I'm also kinda lazy)

--- End quote ---

Lazy is such a harsh word - perhaps you mean that you are really into time management?

An overweight friend of mine says "If you wanna know the easiest way to do something, ask a fat guy!"

opsopcopolis:

--- Quote from: morst on December 08, 2018, 04:12:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: opsopcopolis on December 07, 2018, 06:41:52 PM ---I find a well set limiter to be way more transparent (I'm also kinda lazy)

--- End quote ---

Lazy is such a harsh word - perhaps you mean that you are really into time management?

An overweight friend of mine says "If you wanna know the easiest way to do something, ask a fat guy!"

--- End quote ---

haha we could say that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version