Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

JB3 on a Mac using Virtual PC.

(1/3) > >>

bluegrass_brad:
Curious if anyone has tried this yet?  I emailed Creative and they got back and said that they thought it "should" work, but had never tried it.  So now Im curious.  I REALLY REALLY want to get rid of my DAT, and the ease of transfer cant be beat. Im going to be recording all the YMSB shows now on my laptop, but there I have the conveniance of having plenty of space, no drunks (except myself and the band), and AC at my Monitor desk. For taping shows Im not working I would really like something small, that will fit in my sonicase that I could integrate ionto my existing Pre and AD system. I like running FOB so laptops really wont do for my hobby taping.  I have an older PC (Dell 400mhz Celeron) which I still use as my DAT > FLAC machine. It only has USB 1, no Firewire or USB 2. And all my PCI slots are being used. So My PC wont really do it.  all the rest of my computing is done on either a Powerbook G4 or a G4 dual processor desktop. I recently got Virtual PC with Windows 2000. So...Anyone tried this, I cant have been the first to think of it, Im way too dumb.
Brad

ChrisV:
Anyway to grab a card on Ebay that has dual USB 2.0/Firewire to replace the USB 1.1?   They can be had for pretty cheap...I have a Dell 450 Mhz w/ Win 98SE and that is what I did.   That'd probably be the way to go if by chance the Virtual PC doesn't work out.

bluegrass_brad:
The USB 1.1 is onboard.  my PCI slots are taken up by a modem, A digi soundcard (Zoltrix with digi daughterboard.  Takes up two spaces so renders one PCI slot unusable).  I guess I could ditch the modem since I dont use it too much anymore.  But Im still very curious about whether that would work with Virtual PC on a Mac.

keepongoin:
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work and be bit-perfect.  I can try it out on a friend's G4 powerbook and see how it goes if you want.

bluegrass_brad:
Thanks Andrew.  If you feel like giving it a try that would be great.  I'll probably give it a try with Kaufmann's Nomad as well.  Gotta find something to occupy the time on tour bus beside PS2! He only has a JB1 with USB 1.1, but at least I might be able to try it out on my Powerbook. I'm sure I'll see ya at least once here on the next tour, seems like I always do!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version