Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What should I set my rec. level at?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline strick9nineprod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What should I set my rec. level at?
« on: October 24, 2004, 12:41:23 AM »
Hi,
I'm taping Good Charlotte tomorrow night and i'm using a Mic->Batt. Box->MZ-R700, and I really want to try and get the best results I can for this show and was wondering what I should set my levels at since I can't do it "on-the-fly", and should I go into Mic In or Line In? And anything else you can think of with this type of set-up. Any info would be great.
thanks,
jayce

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
Re: What should I set my rec. level at?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 01:32:45 AM »
Go line in. You're tapes will sound much better.  Going line in isn't going to be as hot as mic in with the rec levels cranked.   I used to stealth with the MZ-R700 and would have to run music through sound forge to add volume even with the rec levels cranked all the way.   Mic in will add more db than line in but the pre on the MZ-R700 sounds like shit.   So go line and crank it up.
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »
always use line in. get there early and get stuff rolling (but not recording) and test things out during the opener(s). chances are if the opener(s) is/are full band, the sound level will be similar to GC.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline kingbean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theBeanScene
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:28:27 AM »
So can I ask what the difference between mic in and line in is exactly?  I'm using a Sony MZ-N710 with ECM-DS70P mic (plug-in power) and have thus far always used mic in, and I've been able to get some pretty impressive recordings.  I always manually set the recording volume to be quite low but manage to be able to pump it up okay when transferring to CD.

Thanks

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 08:32:26 AM »
mic in supplies more power for the mic- I am quite sure, with that mic, you'd need to use mic in.  When people use a battery box, they can start to use line in, cause the battery box usually supplies about 9v of power for the mic, where your mic prolly runs off a AA, which is like 1.5v

Mic-in is usually a noisier, less clean input than a line in.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kingbean

• Taperssection Newbie
    • theBeanScene
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 08:44:25 AM »
Okay yeah, I've got a 1.5v battery in the MD.  So if I used the line-in with this, would I be bale to get a cleaner recording?  I guess if there's less power going to hte mic it won't record as well?  I should probably just test it out sometime.

Thanks for your help! :D

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 09:25:38 AM »
No, I think you need to use mic-in with that mic- I mean the battery in the microphone is AA, or 1.5v, whereas battery boxes usually supply 9v

You can always test both and see if line in works too- just set it up in front of a stereo really loud.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com