Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best cm300 configs  (Read 5413 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
Best cm300 configs
« on: January 30, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »
Just received a pair of cm300's with card and omni caps...about to tape 8 in a row with them. Wanted to see if I could get some feedback for other cm300 users about various configs with either omni or cards that have worked well. All of the upcoming shows are YMSB and all with the exception of one will be general admission. The reserved seating show is in Knoxville at Tennessee Theater and my seats are 13th row center. So, positioning for that show is pretty much set. Just curious about succesfull configs from that location in what I hear is a rather boomy old theater. Obviously, I have options with positioning for the other shows. Venues include New Daisy in Memphis....Tabernacle in Atlanta....Orange Peel in Asheville...Visulite in Charlotte....and a few others. I know this is asking quite a bit of information and I know opinions vary a good bit on this subject. However, these shows will undoubtly be the hightlight of my year and I want to try to pull some good tapes. So, if anyone who runs cm300's or has run them in any of these venues or similar ones has the time to through some words of experience and wisdom my way I would be truely grateful. Thanks for reading this long ass topic.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Best cm300 configs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 05:06:20 PM »
i'm hoping to hit the gainsville,fl show in a couple weeks. have no idea about the layout of the place(don't even know if it's indoors/outdoors). but i like running 3 cards w/ the nak in the middle. will have the nt5s @90 deg w/ spacing at whatever it ends up being(can't remember the metric convertion and never measured anyway). i know a lot will disagree w/ this set up, but it works for me. tried cp2 in the middle once, and picked up too much croud. if i was to run just 2 cm301s i'd set them up the same(w/out the middle mic)
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »
Since the YMSB crowd tends towards [1] hooting and hollering louder than the PA, and [2] blathering endlessly during the performance,  I recommend running FOB every chance you get.  For configs (no personal experience with the CM300s), I'd run cards ORTF for a known good room, DIN for everything else.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 07:14:49 PM »
i forgot to mention when i ran the omni in the middle, it was xy.

brian, i know this has been discussed other places, but is there realy that much difference between DIN and NOS? or is it that i'm just not metricly oriented?  i can see the difference w/ xy, and the different angles in other configs would work at different distances. or is that the same thing?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 07:20:30 PM »
is there realy that much difference between DIN and NOS?

While both DIN and NOS are 90º, spacing differs:  20 cm for DIN, 30 cm for NOS.  FWIW, I can hear the difference - NOS has stronger imaging and stereo effect, i.e. more "space" in the recording.  Depends on what your ears like / recording environment.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 07:31:23 PM »
Well....how about that Tenn Theater show....boomy theater...13row center.....got card and omni option....in that specific situation, what would you do?

Note: Putting gags on Yonder yellers not an option.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 07:32:30 PM »
ok, i guess that makes sence.  just like enlarging the angle as you move farther from the stage. or am i still lost?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 11:33:12 AM »
Well....how about that Tenn Theater show....boomy theater...13row center.....got card and omni option....in that specific situation, what would you do?

Use the card caps ORTF. Easy to do with the long body CM300's, even with bulky shockmounts. Don't use the omnis in a chatty enviroment. If it's real boomy, try X/Y for one set and ortf for the other.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 10:50:05 AM »

Use the card caps ORTF. Easy to do with the long body CM300's, even with bulky shockmounts. Don't use the omnis in a chatty enviroment. If it's real boomy, try X/Y for one set and ortf for the other.

I was never really found of using ORTF with the CM301 config. unless I was really close to the sound source (FOB or on-stage) but rather found DINN to produce more of my liking from a further distance (just my experience and opinion). Also ATS (at the stacks) worked really well in most situations and was well worth the experimentation. The 300's don't really have the ability to capture that "up-front" sound and when running ORTF made it only worse unless as I said you were very close.

Just my .02 - experiment and trust YOUR ears  ;D

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 12:14:34 PM »

I was never really found of using ORTF with the CM301 config. unless I was really close to the sound source (FOB or on-stage) but rather found DINN to produce more of my liking from a further distance (just my experience and opinion). Also ATS (at the stacks) worked really well in most situations and was well worth the experimentation. The 300's don't really have the ability to capture that "up-front" sound and when running ORTF made it only worse unless as I said you were very close.

Just my .02 - experiment and trust YOUR ears  ;D

LoS
Yes, I should have said you need to be close. I was assuming he was refering to his 13th row show, which should be close enough to run X/Y or ORTF. Any distance back, point at the stacks or use guns. Guns. Hint, hint......

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 12:30:49 PM »
Guns....ah, yes.....I remember. Don't worry man...it's still going to happen. I've had several unfortunate events lately....but it won't be too long.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 03:19:40 PM »
Guns....ah, yes.....I remember. Don't worry man...it's still going to happen. I've had several unfortunate events lately....but it won't be too long.

Paging O-dog - you have my guns?? How they workin for ya?? I have still not had a chance to hear your 3 mic mix you sent me. It got packed right before my big move and is still with the bulk of my gear and CD collection.

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 03:33:06 PM »
Do not run FOB at the Visulite show.  The visulite's board is very far back, and is really a chatty area for tapers.  You'll see the occasional one or two, but most of them hang out by the drink rail. 

I am also going to be running the CM300's that night, something I've never done before at the Visulite.  We'll have to see the place place for 'em.

See you at the show!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 04:07:41 PM »
Do not run FOB at the Visulite show. The visulite's board is very far back, and is really a chatty area for tapers. You'll see the occasional one or two, but most of them hang out by the drink rail.

I'm confused, should he NOT run fob or should he run at the drink rail? If it's chatty by the board and it is a long way back isn't that all the more reason to run up front?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 05:33:29 PM »
Do not run FOB at the Visulite show. The visulite's board is very far back, and is really a chatty area for tapers. You'll see the occasional one or two, but most of them hang out by the drink rail.

I'm confused, should he NOT run fob or should he run at the drink rail? If it's chatty by the board and it is a long way back isn't that all the more reason to run up front?

and i htought it was just me

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 11:31:15 PM »

and i htought it was just me

Sorry about the confusion.

DO NOT tape FOB

DO tape by the drink rail.

Can't wait for the show!  :)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 11:32:54 PM »
so the drink rail is at or behind the board?

thanks!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 11:50:33 PM »
The drink rail is about 10 - 15 ft in front of the board. 

The board, however, is a little off center.

I would basically just run rigs from the rail, or even clamp if you can onto the rail.

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2005, 12:00:43 AM »
+T

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2005, 12:19:55 AM »
Yes, I should have said you need to be close. I was assuming he was refering to his 13th row show, which should be close enough to run X/Y or ORTF. Any distance back, point at the stacks or use guns. Guns. Hint, hint......

ok, so if I'm using guns on yonder yellers or the chatty fob 
folk, do you suggest smith & wesson, or colt?

should I use a silencer, or wait until between songs?

and do I need a larger caliber for w00ks?

Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 12:32:35 AM »
Niether....you simply put a mask on yourself, the taper next to you, board tech and the band and disperse some kind of chemical agent rendering them silent until two hours after the show has ended.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com