Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: High end mic summary  (Read 5261 times)

Offline jk labs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
Re: High end mic summary
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 12:58:52 AM »
I think thats it...I think Jon at JK Labs can also make a box/cables for the MBHO caps but dont quote me on that...

Hahaha,

you know what, of the mics mentioned so far, the DPA 4022 is the only one that has managed to scape me.

And it annoys me not knowing what it would take to gain access to the internal electronics board and how easy/difficult it would be to do the changes necessary to allow direct powering by battery  >:( 

Jon 

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 01:28:05 AM »
With regard to stealthing, I was thinking that most directional mics probably aren't behaving as intended anyways.  Sticking them in your hat, collar or shirt has got to be affecting the way sound reaches the side vents (and then on to the back of the diaphragm).  I couldn't tell you precisiely what the effect is...I would guess that they become less directional if you are restricting them in any way.  Anyone?

I agree. You have solid obstacles just inches away from the mic: altered directional patterns, even for omnis. Occurance of multipath, comb filter effects etc etc   However, putting numbers on the severity of these effects could prove challenging. But a good stereo, a set of 1/3 octave warble tones and some patience could give some ballpark answers....

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 06:09:25 AM »
With regard to stealthing, I was thinking that most directional mics probably aren't behaving as intended anyways. Sticking them in your hat, collar or shirt has got to be affecting the way sound reaches the side vents (and then on to the back of the diaphragm). I couldn't tell you precisiely what the effect is...I would guess that they become less directional if you are restricting them in any way. Anyone?

I agree. You have solid obstacles just inches away from the mic: altered directional patterns, even for omnis. Occurance of multipath, comb filter effects etc etc However, putting numbers on the severity of these effects could prove challenging. But a good stereo, a set of 1/3 octave warble tones and some patience could give some ballpark answers....

What's everyone's gut feeling about hat stealthing?...omni, cards, or hypers?

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 02:41:52 PM »
If you go with Schoeps I would get the CCM, which get rid of all the extra's you don't need like the active cable and VMS. You estentially get a compact microphone like the DPA 4020 series but with the Schoeps sound.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.228 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com