Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So, I'm putting together a stealth rig...  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Tyler McGhee

• has developed quite a tolerance...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • head on down to south park and meet some friends..
    • Piqtu Multimedia
So, I'm putting together a stealth rig...
« on: May 25, 2005, 06:51:50 PM »
I've pretty much onboard for a pair of dpa 4060-bm.
My question...
is there a way I could run this into my v3 in a shoulder bag?
then I could go optical out to my jb3.

Can i get the dpa 4060's with a xlr on the end?

thanks!
ADK A-51 TL's /DPA 4061 / AKG e451b > Lunatec V3 optical/spdif out > JB3 (16/48) / VxPocket 440 > Dell Inspiron 8500 (24/48)> WaveLab 5.0

http://www.piqtu.com

Offline Tyler McGhee

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Piqtu Multimedia
Re: So, I'm putting together a stealth rig...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:34:01 AM »
then i would run from the power supply to the v3?
ADK A-51 TL's /DPA 4061 / AKG e451b > Lunatec V3 optical/spdif out > JB3 (16/48) / VxPocket 440 > Dell Inspiron 8500 (24/48)> WaveLab 5.0

sml42

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 10:08:47 AM »
the dpa power supply is an inline AA batt box for standalone usage.
Or, if its supplied p48v, it converts that power to usable power (5volts ?) for the mics. The p48v overrides the onboard AA battery supply.

I read someplace else on this board, that the dpa406x require 7.5V power. I have a mps6030 which basically runs off a regular 9V battery and provides 9V (well, specifically it provides exactly the battery voltage) to my dpa4060.

If DPA can run the mics directly off a 9V battery, that means you could just run a sound professionals battery box instead (chop off the microdot connectors and solder a 3.5mm jack plug). I already have a SP battery box, and wish I'd realised this before I bought the mps6030 :p

best regards,
stephen

sml42

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »
I'm not one so inclined to mix it up with the components like that.
 What would be the benefit of running an sp box vs. dpa box? Initial investments cost aside, as you'll need to consider kickin down some cash to someone to solder the connections (if your not so inclined). Thats going to eat into any $$ saved.
All things considered, imo, dpa offers a better selection of power and gain for these mics, rather than cutting off the connectors and going elsewhere for power and gain.

For me, the benefit would have been: I already had an SP box. And in my case, since I originally bought my DPAs from coresound - they had already had the microdot connectors chopped off and replaced with a 5-pin mini-XLR. I had to shell out extra cash to have this chopped off and replaced with new microdot plugs. Live and learn.

Personally I'm competent with a soldering iron. So I could have spent maybe UKP 1-2 on a 3.5mm jack plug and soldering myself... I ended up spending UKP 150... live and learn.

(Also my SP battery box has a selection of bass rolloff... the DPA battery box does not).

best regards,
stephen

Offline Tyler McGhee

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Piqtu Multimedia
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 12:36:32 PM »
I think my solution is going to be this to start:

dpa4061 > DAD6001 (microdot > xlr connector made by dpa) > v3 > jb3

i'll just need to get a fanny pack or something simliar to try to hide the pre/battery/nomad.
as far as pat downs, if it comes down to it, i can crotch the v3, put the jb3 in my pocket and have someone else
carry my battery.  I think it's going to work out.  Now if i can find a way to fly mics in a discreet fashion
so that I don't have to stand still for 3 hours   ;)
i think for really crowded stuff, the mono pod idea is a good one.  You could mount the mics on top
and just hold it still.  I'm looking into this.

thanks for the info fellas.
T's all around!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.156 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com