Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JBL L112 Loudspeakers -- Should I buy them?!  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
JBL L112 Loudspeakers -- Should I buy them?!
« on: October 10, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »
My mother loves to go to thrift stores but unfortunately she's loosing her sight and can't drive.  Since my girlfriend was out of town last weekend I took good ol' mom to some thrift stores around town.

I happened to stumble onto a pair of JBL L112's at one of the stores...  The one looks fine visually, foam surround in tact, etc.  The other the surround on the sub is totally gone.  The cabinents are both in apparently fine condition.

They have them priced at $75 for the pair.  If they are still there I wager I could fetch them for $40 maybe...

I didn't know much about them but after reviewing them online it seems as if this could be a worthy investment.  They sold for $900 new and mint pairs currently sell on ebay for gobs apparently (see this auction at $449 w/6 days to go).  The tweeters alone are selling for $44, crossovers for sale at $30, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?  I wouldn't neccesarily just turn these around for a profit by any means.  I imagine I would keep them but curious how much it would take to restore them and if anyone has any thoughts on their sound.

Here's what a mint pair of them looks like:
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

BobW

Re: JBL L112 Loudspeakers -- Should I buy them?!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:31:11 PM »
I remember these well.
I never liked them, although some folks did.
I found them "peaky" in low-mid-bass and upper-mids (female voices)
YMMV

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:15:43 PM »
how much to replace a woofer?   Honestly, for $40, I'd totally do it... but that's just me.  I also have piles of old shitty speakers sitting around... and those seem to have better potential than all of the shitty ones I have around here.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:10:04 PM »
I got new foam surrounds put on a set of older speakers for ~$90 for the pair earlier in the year fwiw

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:49:42 AM »
Buy them, and if you can't live with them, flip them on ebay and make some money.  I have heard of people financing college this way believe it or not.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:50:36 AM »
Buy them, and if you can't live with them, flip them on ebay and make some money.  I have heard of people financing college this way believe it or not.

flipping potentially broken gear?  who would have thought that someone could finance their way through things with something like that  ::)
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 06:40:40 PM »
Whelp, stopped today again with full intent to buy'em (they were having a half off everything sale no less0 and they were gone.  Investigated further and it turns out they threw them out.

Oh well.  Bummer!
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 06:41:51 PM »
Whelp, stopped today again with full intent to buy'em (they were having a half off everything sale no less0 and they were gone.  Investigated further and it turns out they threw them out.

Oh well.  Bummer!

:o

shitty!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 09:10:45 PM »

flipping potentially broken gear?  who would have thought that someone could finance their way through things with something like that  ::)

Huh, he said the parts alone were worth more than what he would have had to pay. ???
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
damn! That blows, my father had a pair very similar to those & they rocked back in the day. I remember lusting after them when I was 14 or so, knowing someday I would have a pair to crank Megadeath through  >:D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 04:15:34 PM »
PEACE SELLS.........BUT WHO'S BUYING!!!!!!!!!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 05:44:19 PM »
We always said, PETE sells but who's buying  8)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 11:38:03 AM »
flipping potentially broken gear?

Foam surrounds are pretty easy to replace, basically you take out the woofer, clean off the old surrounds and glue with some alcohol and then glue the new ones in, you just have to take your time and be careful not to damage the speakers.  You can buy kits from partsexpress and others to do so.  I did a pair of large advents a year or two back, also took the time to replace the crossover caps while i was in there.  Ended up with a pretty nice pair of speakers.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

BobW

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
flipping potentially broken gear?

Foam surrounds are pretty easy to replace, basically you take out the woofer, clean off the old surrounds and glue with some alcohol and then glue the new ones in, you just have to take your time and be careful not to damage the speakers.  You can buy kits from partsexpress and others to do so.  I did a pair of large advents a year or two back, also took the time to replace the crossover caps while i was in there.  Ended up with a pretty nice pair of speakers.

+T for recycling.
I'd never give up my Dynaco A25XLs to the trashman

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com