Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has anyone had a mic cable go bad?  (Read 9283 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re: Has anyone had a mic cable go bad?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 04:18:44 AM »
Another thing I was thinking about, optical cables and their associated connections are notorious for adding static/pops/crackles to your signal.
I don't even think that's technically possible - it's a digital signal, so it's either there or it isn't.  Static can't just appear out of ones and zeroes. 

one of several examples to the contrary: transferring a DAT with the receiving computer's sound card's clock set to "internal" instead of "digital in"... all kinds of random shit like superfaint crackling can get tossed into what would have been a clean transfer.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »
Another thing I was thinking about, optical cables and their associated connections are notorious for adding static/pops/crackles to your signal.
I don't even think that's technically possible - it's a digital signal, so it's either there or it isn't.  Static can't just appear out of ones and zeroes. 

one of several examples to the contrary: transferring a DAT with the receiving computer's sound card's clock set to "internal" instead of "digital in"... all kinds of random shit like superfaint crackling can get tossed into what would have been a clean transfer.
Sounds like a problem with the soundcard processing the data, not with the optical cable.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »

Sounds like a problem with the soundcard processing the data, not with the optical cable.

sorry, i was replying to the static appearing out of ones and zeroes part.

Offline vishwa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your tickets suck, now go kill yourself.
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 08:38:20 AM »
i thought i had a bad cable too

turns out my mic cap (studio projects C-4) was not on all the way

glad I didn't rush out to replace the cable
My stuff is way better then yours and you suck at taping anyway.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 07:35:46 AM »

oh?
so how does it happen on all those DAT tapes that i've hard digi-noise on? 
bad mechanics, bad connections...it all turns to static, or loss of signal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com