Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable Break in article  (Read 9321 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cable Break in article
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 10:33:44 AM »
i was just being difficult, but maybe no one did notice it...

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 12:48:15 PM »
If Quad was running with speaker cable from a black and decker extention cord...people noticed.  They just didn't say anything. 

And you know this how?

It's possible that they didn't notice...

The speaker cables may have gone unnoticed, but I bet most noticed the bad sound. 

Chris

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 02:34:52 PM »
If Quad was running with speaker cable from a black and decker extention cord...people noticed.  They just didn't say anything. 

And you know this how?

The speaker cables may have gone unnoticed, but I bet most noticed the bad sound. 

Chris

Or not...

"they found Quad demonstrating their latest speakers to great enthusiasm. "
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 05:43:41 PM »
Tony Faulkner—engineer of about a third of the best-sounding orchestral recordings of the last twenty years—used the Black-and-Decker equivalent to hook up his Quad 989s at the recent Heathrow Show in England—“They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me”—and that the designer of what is by provable standards one of the half dozen or so most accurate loudspeakers ever made uses and recommends it all the time.

I dont know..if anyone has golden ears, Tony Faulkner does..he is one of the guys I look up to most in the recording industry.

cshepherd

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 07:23:45 PM »

And you know this how?

Chris

Maybe 'bad sound' was a little harsh.  They are Quads after all.  The article doesn't contradict anything about cable break in.  It sounds like they forgot to bring their speaker cables to the show.   Tony Faulkner said "they sound good to me" and "no one in the audience has noticed".  All that gear and "sounds good to me" was the best they could quote for their article regarding the magnificient Quad speakers.

Chris

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 07:39:04 PM »
He also said the designer of the Quads uses it all the time...

And you know this how?

Chris

Maybe 'bad sound' was a little harsh.  They are Quads after all.  The article doesn't contradict anything about cable break in.  It sounds like they forgot to bring their speaker cables to the show.   Tony Faulkner said "they sound good to me" and "no one in the audience has noticed".  All that gear and "sounds good to me" was the best they could quote for their article regarding the magnificient Quad speakers.

Chris

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »
I sometimes see this anti-wrinkle cream ads on the TV. Every time I think that it would be very easy to do an AB test, just spread the goo on one side of the face and not on the other. IF they really worked there would be a difference.

I also think that it would be very easy to do an AB test on mic cables. Simply use two matched mics placed really close and run them through two different cables. After a while, switch cables so you could judge how much of the difference is from the mics, and how much from the cable. If there really was a large difference it would be obvious.

But, well, the never do proper AB tests on the creams. What about the cables?

Gunnar

cshepherd

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »

And you know this how?

Chris

Chris

I didn't read that anywhere.  This was all I saw regarding the Quad room...

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from  {1} good, thick copper wire, {2} look nice and {3} sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..."  - New Scientist Magazine

Tony Faulkner stated they were bought just prior to the show.  He used the speakers while working for Gramaphone, but I don't see where they state any previous experience with the speaker cables.  They weren't even speaker cables, they were power cords.  The whole article smacks of [edit for poor choice of words] bias.  Notice how sound was third most important attribute.

Chris
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 12:38:09 AM by cshepherd »

RebelRebel

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 10:48:11 PM »
and that the designer of what is by provable standards one of the half dozen or so most accurate loudspeakers ever made uses and recommends it(the black and decker) all the time.

And you know this how?

Chris

Chris

I didn't read that anywhere.  This was all I saw regarding the Quad room...

"Yes, they would look familiar if you have a garden. Before the show opened we went over the road to the DIY superstore and bought one of those £20 extension leads that Black & Decker sells for electric hedge-cutters. They are made from  {1} good, thick copper wire, {2} look nice and {3} sound good to me. The show's been running for three days and no one in the audience has noticed..."  - New Scientist Magazine

Tony Faulkner stated they were bought just prior to the show.  He used the speakers while working for Gramaphone, but I don't see where they state any previous experience with the speaker cables.  They weren't even speaker cables, they were power cords.  The whole article smacks of retardedness.  Notice how sound was third most important attribute.

Chris

cshepherd

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 11:13:26 PM »
Well, Roy Gandy of Rega makes great turntables and puts molded plastic ICs on all of them.  He's supposedly not a cable person either.  All any of this means is that the guy who makes Quad speakers isn't into expensive cable and that it sounds good to Tony Faulkner...and that they were willing to go to show with black and decker power cords on their speakers.  They didn't get any opinions on the subject from those running expensive cables at the show.  Not exactly great journalism...more like propaganda.

Thanks for clarifying, Teddy.

Chris

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2006, 10:47:44 AM »
I heard my speakers sounding like a Black & Decker, once, for about 5 minutes. Never again will I enjoy that splendor of sound.

You didn't accidently hook up the speaker end to the amp did you?  I'm only half making a joke.  That HD cord everyone was buzzing about was reported to be directional. 

I'm still loving the APs.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com