Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps active users...  (Read 5198 times)

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
Re: Schoeps active users...
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 11:59:36 AM »
You should try MS sometime (as long as you are not in the back of the house).
The 2 biggest complaints about MS are:
1. you have to matrix in post
2. weak bass
Well, yes, you need to do post, but then you can control your stereo width.  How many times have you found (afterwards) that your recording was too wide?  Just narrow it down a little and there you go.   As far as the bass thing goes, this is only true to an extent.  You won't get the amazing full rich bass that is possible with split omnis but I dont' think that set-up was on your plate. And, if you think that the bass isn't wide enough for your liking, then use a shuffler (look it up) in post.
OK, I'm ready to hear all the purists slam me now for mentioning post processing as a good thing...LOL!

I agree with the idea that post-processing the M/S is the way to go (I say idead because, although I've read extensively about it, I haven't had a chance to do it... yet.) But I did see this interesting box in the newest TapeOp

http://www.peterengh.com

I also know there are other ways to process m/s on the fly but this one sure looks simple. But limiting.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 12:43:42 PM »
Yeah, but its almost $400, for something you can do better, later for free.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2006, 03:42:40 PM »
You should try MS sometime (as long as you are not in the back of the house).
The 2 biggest complaints about MS are:
1. you have to matrix in post
2. weak bass
Well, yes, you need to do post, but then you can control your stereo width.  How many times have you found (afterwards) that your recording was too wide?  Just narrow it down a little and there you go.   As far as the bass thing goes, this is only true to an extent.  You won't get the amazing full rich bass that is possible with split omnis but I dont' think that set-up was on your plate. And, if you think that the bass isn't wide enough for your liking, then use a shuffler (look it up) in post.
OK, I'm ready to hear all the purists slam me now for mentioning post processing as a good thing...LOL!

m/s has it's place.  i feel strongly that in a FOB situation, it's acceptable.
otherwise, if you're in an OTS, any stereo configuration other than m/s will do you better off, as the signal is often much quieter
(in order to prevent clipping)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 02:43:50 PM »
I pretty much ran my 41's DINA..always with good results...I agree though, with cards ORTF is usually the best in most situations..I love my TL's ORTF using the cards.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com