Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Stealthable Recorder?  (Read 12795 times)

Offline cody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: New Stealthable Recorder?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 10:43:41 AM »
Got my vibez a few weeks ago, few notes:

no, you can not adjust the line-in record level from -11 to 11, that's the mic level.

also quickly found out that record settings for both mic and line in are simply "low, medium, high" at 16k/mono/wav-ima-adpcm, 16K/mono/wav-pcm, 44.1k/stereo/wav-pcm...  a little different than the sample rates of 8-48k listed on the trekstor website.  I emailed to ask about this or see what I was doing wrong.  They replied:

"Dear Cody,

thank you for requesting information from your TrekStor Service Team.

We are aware of the problem with the sample rate but the software of the vibez isn´t able to support the sample rate of 48 Khz yet.

We are working on that problem and trying to solve it with a new firmware.

We know that you as customer have the choice and we thank you for having decided for TrekStor.

Kind regards,

Horst Jackemann
TrekStor Service Team"

cody

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 02:07:19 PM »
I got a chance to finally get out and test this thing on Friday. I recorded a great local band here in MN, The Transfusers http://www.transfusers.com/.

Aside from having my main rig, I set up the Trek Stor Vibez as follows: Church Audio Mics>SP-SPSB-1(Battery Box)>Vibez. Since it was a wide open affair, I also used external power, so I cannot comment on battery time.

My observations:
I used the voice option and recorded at -2db. I liked the meters they were pretty easy to read, and seemed to let me know when I was going to clip. The recording has no audible distortion even if I clipped here and there.
I could not get a signal using line in. Not sure why and was not comfortable enough to delve into it on the spot without the manual.
I used the "Lock Buttons" feature, as it seemed pretty easy to hit a button by mistake. There is a firmware glitch in that that shuts off the backlight in this mode, even if it is set to stay on. If it is unlocked, the light did stay on as set. If you touched any button while it was locked, it would light up briefly, but you still could not see the meters as they were behind the locked message.
The screen was great, easy to see and read, and the recorder looks more like a phone than a recorder which is nice when needed. I'd like to find some mics that would work well with out a battery box if possible.

The recording was clean and clear, and this was a noisy bar. I had the mics up high, and I was really pleased with the results. I am not sure where or when I'd use the device, but it was super easy to handle. If I can find a way to run good quality mics without the battery box or with a much smaller one, this device is really portable and easy to use.

I tried the file split just as an experiment, but I have not listened to see it it is seamless. It appeared to be. I also don't know what would happen by itself it it hit 2gb, but I am pretty sure it would start another file.

I had an issue at the first set, where the recorder shut off by itself. I think it was my power management settings, but I am not sure. I changed the power management settings for power to to stay on always, and that solved the problem, but there may be another firmware glitch there as it should not shut off while running if it is set on some kind of auto power off. That type of auto shut off should be if nothing is happening.

Bottom line is I liked the machine. It is easy to use. I do hope they will upgrade the firmware and improve some of the handling issues that are minor but still need to be fixed. I also need to find out more about the line in issues.

For 12gb and the tiny nano like size, it has potential, but there is more testing and experimenting that needs to be done.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline cody

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
Thanks for the report,

I've been pretty happy with the results of mine so far.

Just to be clear - what did you mean by "I could not get a signal using line in"?

I only ask because you go on to mention the clean and clear recording you got with the mics up high.  Were they not connected through the line in?

Thanks
Cody

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 08:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the report,

I've been pretty happy with the results of mine so far.

Just to be clear - what did you mean by "I could not get a signal using line in"?

I only ask because you go on to mention the clean and clear recording you got with the mics up high.  Were they not connected through the line in?

Thanks
Cody

As you know, there is only one jack, so yes, to be clear, I has the mics into the battery box into the jack on the vibez, but I had the recorder set to "mic in" on the menu options, not "line in". With the "line in" settings activated on the menu, I got no signal, it was recording, but nothing happened soundwise. Also I could find no way to adjust anything while in the "line in" menu function. You do have the + or - db settings when using the "mic in", but I'd love to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have only played with it while in a live recording situation, so I have not done too much fussing around. :-\

How have you been recording? Can you give me any insiight on how to do it differently?

Offline cody

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »
It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong - I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but...

I think the assumption over at Trekstor is that if you are recording via the line-in then the level will be set from the source at some 'ideal' level (or, at least, adjustable at the source)  I wish it was adjustable like the mic-in level but not yet... maybe in some future firmware update??

If you weren't getting signal with the Vibez set to line-in maybe something was up with the battery box or a cable?  Maybe the signal wasn't hot enough (though that defeats the purpose)?  I've used a line out from a computer, a mixer and a stereo and all have worked fine so far.  I haven't used a mic yet.

I guess the really good news in your situation is that if you were getting a clean and clear recording with the Vibez set to mic-in then that was all from the Vibez internal microphone.  I personally have found there to be a LOT of drive noise when recording with the internal mic - so far it's a pretty minor problem for me depending on how loud the source I'm recording is.

I don't have my Vibez in front of me but any of the mic record settings are just coming in from the internal microphone - the line in record settings are whatever is coming in through that one jack you mentioned.

Hope that clears some things up.
Cody

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »
This looks like an awesome device, I'm looking forward to the kind folks at Rockbox picking up on it and hopefully making a Rockbox firmware for it... THAT would probably sell the unit for me.

Thanks for the updates, I'm interested to keep following up on the thread!!!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 12:00:53 AM »
It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong - I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but...

I think the assumption over at Trekstor is that if you are recording via the line-in then the level will be set from the source at some 'ideal' level (or, at least, adjustable at the source)  I wish it was adjustable like the mic-in level but not yet... maybe in some future firmware update??

If you weren't getting signal with the Vibez set to line-in maybe something was up with the battery box or a cable?  Maybe the signal wasn't hot enough (though that defeats the purpose)?  I've used a line out from a computer, a mixer and a stereo and all have worked fine so far.  I haven't used a mic yet.

I guess the really good news in your situation is that if you were getting a clean and clear recording with the Vibez set to mic-in then that was all from the Vibez internal microphone.  I personally have found there to be a LOT of drive noise when recording with the internal mic - so far it's a pretty minor problem for me depending on how loud the source I'm recording is.

I don't have my Vibez in front of me but any of the mic record settings are just coming in from the internal microphone - the line in record settings are whatever is coming in through that one jack you mentioned.

Hope that clears some things up.
Cody

It clears it up a bit, but I have not used the internal mic at all. I have used
1. Church Audio mini mics(in Croakie)> SP-SPSB-1(Battery Box)>Vibez and also
2. AT 853>SP-SPSB-1(Battery Box)>Vibez.

Both of these were with the "mic in" setting. There is no possibilty that it went through the internal mic. The Vibez was in a case, down on the floor in a bag and the mics were up on a mic stand. I don't think the internal mic is designed for any type of quality recording, and I assume it is just a solo mic and therefore mono intake.

As for the line in, I guess I'll have to try a line source and see what happens. Does not really make sense that it would not like the signal from mic to battery box, but more testing will tell.

Thanks!
Cliff

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 10:17:39 AM »
If you guys didn't already see my review:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,82524.0.html

I am very interested to see if my unit is defective....if it is, there seems to be allot of them out there. If you guys could do a similar test that I did, and comment on or post the results, please do. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this, cause this seems like a pretty cool little device with potential, but if this noise is unavoidable I'm returning it pronto.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com