Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pad on onstage omni's?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline leshlush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
Pad on onstage omni's?
« on: December 15, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »
I'm running my C4 omni caps onstage... It's for a local electric jamband... They're usually quite loud...

Should I be running the -10dB pad just to be safe? Or will I be fine w/o it?

I've never had to run the pad in this room before but I've also never done any on-stage in this room before, nor have I really ever run the omnis on my C4s...

Sorry if this post belongs in the Team SP board, but I thought that even those who don't run SP mics might be able to help...
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Pad on onstage omni's?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 04:58:08 PM »
I don't run C4s, but with my Oktavas, I leave the pads in if it's a band (assuming guitar amp(s), drum kit, bass amp, keyboard amp). I recorded David Lauzon last year (on-stage, about 3' from his amps, one a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr with a 2x12, the other a 2x10 or 2x12 Rivera) with the pads off, though, and the mics didn't get overloaded (it was a tiny venue, without a PA, and his stage sound filled the room pretty well). (One problem with the Oktavas, though: you have to take the mics apart to take the pads out. Because of this, I tend to err on the side of caution and leave them in almost all the time.)

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline leshlush

• Taperssection Member
  • Bass Great, Lesh Philing...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:03:48 PM »
Thanks Brad... +T
SP C4's > Hydra Silvers > UA5 (digi mod) > JB3

Team Turkey - Western Conference
Team Fun - Western Conference

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
I'm running my C4 omni caps onstage... It's for a local electric jamband... They're usually quite loud...

Should I be running the -10dB pad just to be safe? Or will I be fine w/o it?

I've never had to run the pad in this room before but I've also never done any on-stage in this room before, nor have I really ever run the omnis on my C4s...

Sorry if this post belongs in the Team SP board, but I thought that even those who don't run SP mics might be able to help...

The thing to remember about pads is they also take away top end from most mics especially if they are passive ( most built into mics are) the thinking is this you look at the max specs of the mics if they are rated for 138db or so then leave them off.
Unless the numbers (specs) from the company are not true then turn them on :)

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 11:31:20 PM »
Sorry if this post belongs in the Team SP board

The intent of the Team forum and threads is to provide a social outlet for people in the same geographic area or sharing common interests who do not want to clutter up the Taper Chat and Open Forum with their banter.  As a general rule, all other content regarding gear, its use, setup, etc., belongs in the appropriate Technical Help forum.  Hope that makes sense...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:41:41 AM »
I wouldn't run the pad.

I ran them once when I had the Oktavas and I didn't like it at all. I've never run them on my Neumann's.

I would just watch your levels and run your gain lower. You can always normalize in post, good luck. Oh and onstage omni's rock !
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com