Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wavelab montage/2gb file limit  (Read 2665 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Wavelab montage/2gb file limit
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:06:49 PM »
So I have been learning from this thread  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,44072.0.html  and have exhausted the search function thoroughly to no avail.

I am running Wavelab 5.01b on XP.  My source files are two stereo tracks from the R4.   Both are audience tracks and sync'd on the same word clock.  The tracks were recorded at 24/96 and were auto split by the R4.   Each file is 1.99GB from the auto split.

What I want to be able to do is combine both sources (auto splits) at 24/96 and save the resulting matrix mix.  Then I can go back and add fades/etc to eventually burn at 24/96 on DVD.

Here is the problem:

I create a new montage.  Select the sample rate (96khz) Import both tracks.  They're inline with one another perfectly.  Hit 'render'.  Select the output to be a new file with the same attributes as the source files (24/96/wav) and let it run.  Takes a few minutes and then I get the dreaded  2GB limit message (see attached picture).

Suggestions?  Is there a thread I missed on this?   Is the only way to do this is to break up the files even smaller say at 1GB which would leave me with 5+ files per stereo pair?  Am I just not seeing the obvious here?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: Wavelab montage/2gb file limit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 08:26:28 PM »
try this:

OPTIONS > Preferences > "File" tab
in that tab, you'll see a pulldown menu with three choices:
"Create 16 bit temporary files"
"Create 24 bit temporary files"
"Create 32 bit float temporary files"

it's probably set on the 32 bit float.  with 32 bit precision, you'll hit the 2gig limit at ~45 minutes instead of ~1 hour (at 24 bit precision).
try changing the setting to 24 bit temp files and see if it works.
of course, then you're working with 24 bit precision instead of 32 bit precision when mixing the two sources together.  will you be able to hear the difference?  maybe, but probably not.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
try this:

OPTIONS > Preferences > "File" tab
in that tab, you'll see a pulldown menu with three choices:
"Create 16 bit temporary files"
"Create 24 bit temporary files"
"Create 32 bit float temporary files"

it's probably set on the 32 bit float.  with 32 bit precision, you'll hit the 2gig limit at ~45 minutes instead of ~1 hour (at 24 bit precision).
try changing the setting to 24 bit temp files and see if it works.
of course, then you're working with 24 bit precision instead of 32 bit precision when mixing the two sources together.  will you be able to hear the difference?  maybe, but probably not.

I tried that as well.  No dice.   I'm really stumped on this one.  I have a sinking feeling that i'll have to deal with 5-6 files per source.  The thought of managing 10-12 seperate files does not excite me at all. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:55:45 AM »
Suggestions?  <snip>  Am I just not seeing the obvious here?

IMO, the obvious solution (and not the answer you want to hear):  spend $50 on Samplitude SE v8.

Using SSE's Virtual Project mode, you keep all your individual files (don't need to join them since you join them virtually in the project), work on or edit all files / objects within the project jointly or independently, split files into smaller objects and apply different effects to different objects, add tracking and fades within SSE so they're easy to regenerate later (no need to dump out to WAV, then open CD-Wave and apply a cue sheet), etc., and when all's said and done simply bounce the tracks at the bit-depth / sample rate you wish to create.

I've found SSE a huge improvement over WL, Audition, and Audacity for managing projects with multiple large files.  Shoot, even for 2-ch I think it's far better.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:58:04 AM »
Just open the wav files in WL, and clip both files at cursor (hopefully b/t a song)  and insert them on a new montague, render out and you won't go over on the 2 gig file limit
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:58:01 AM »
You probably want to do that in cd wave so you can save your cue sheet and make sure that it is split on exactly the same sector boundry.   
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
Just open the wav files in WL, and clip both files at cursor (hopefully b/t a song)  and insert them on a new montague, render out and you won't go over on the 2 gig file limit

Thanks +T.

So then no matter what I do i'll be dealing with mulitiple files or multiple montages regardless, right? 

Say I have set one of Panic.  One hour long.  Basically i'm taking both sources opening them in a montage.  Then i'll cut say half of it and put the cut half in a new montage.  So 2 montages for the first set/first hour.  Then once rendered i'll rejoin the two halves and have a one hour rendered file that fits under the 2gb limit. 

Then rinse, lather and repeat for set two.

Am I on the right track now

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »
This is gold. I ran into the same promblen dealing w/ 24/96 files in wavlab and after getting Samplitude, it is really all I use .

Suggestions?  <snip>  Am I just not seeing the obvious here?

IMO, the obvious solution (and not the answer you want to hear):  spend $50 on Samplitude SE v8.

Using SSE's Virtual Project mode, you keep all your individual files (don't need to join them since you join them virtually in the project), work on or edit all files / objects within the project jointly or independently, split files into smaller objects and apply different effects to different objects, add tracking and fades within SSE so they're easy to regenerate later (no need to dump out to WAV, then open CD-Wave and apply a cue sheet), etc., and when all's said and done simply bounce the tracks at the bit-depth / sample rate you wish to create.

I've found SSE a huge improvement over WL, Audition, and Audacity for managing projects with multiple large files.  Shoot, even for 2-ch I think it's far better.

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:47:37 PM »

Yes you have it...
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com