Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What Gear Bag Should I Get? Opinions Welcome...  (Read 2850 times)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
What Gear Bag Should I Get? Opinions Welcome...
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:50:39 AM »
hey gang,

I have been running a 'new' rig for the last month or so and have decided to get a new bag. The Nova 5 I am using is too much room for the gear I carry. I don't want to drop $150-$200 on a bag and then be unhappy with the decision. Here is what I have:

• 722 w/ two Batteries
  • Pelican 1060 w/ 480 bodies 61 & 63 caps
  • Shure Vert Bar w/ AT8410 shock mounts attached
  • Shure 4AWS Windscreens
  • 15' pair of Dogstar Segue XLRs (Right Angle on both sides)
  • roll of gaffers tape
  • wind tech c-clamp
  • Bogen Quick Release Clamp

I want to get the smallest possible bag that fits everthing and has a rain flap. The one thing that I really have to consider is the fact that the XLR's attach to the 722 using right angle connectors, which are a little akward in the Nova 5. My choices are:

• Nova 4
  • Portabrace AR-7 w/ Multi
  • Portabrace AR-7 w/ Multi-Delux
  • Sonicase

Thoughts, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
Re: What Gear Bag Should I Get? Opinions Welcome...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »
It won't fit in the portabrace w/ the rm-multi, the portabrace w/ the rm-deluxe will still be a little tight w/ the fatty shures and the AT shockmounts.

I would say a 4shelf sonicase or appropriate nova bag (i'm not familiar w/ their options)

You may also want to consider a Petrol or Kata bag.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
hey gang,

I have been running a 'new' rig for the last month or so and have decided to get a new bag. The Nova 5 I am using is too much room for the gear I carry. I don't want to drop $150-$200 on a bag and then be unhappy with the decision. Here is what I have:

• 722 w/ two Batteries
  • Pelican 1060 w/ 480 bodies 61 & 63 caps
  • Shure Vert Bar w/ AT8410 shock mounts attached
  • Shure 4AWS Windscreens
  • 15' pair of Dogstar Segue XLRs (Right Angle on both sides)
  • roll of gaffers tape
  • wind tech c-clamp
  • Bogen Quick Release Clamp

I want to get the smallest possible bag that fits everthing and has a rain flap. The one thing that I really have to consider is the fact that the XLR's attach to the 722 using right angle connectors, which are a little akward in the Nova 5. My choices are:

• Nova 4
  • Portabrace AR-7 w/ Multi
  • Portabrace AR-7 w/ Multi-Delux
  • Sonicase

Thoughts, comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I use a lowepro magnum currently and I really like it but my current setup requires just a little more room and I am now looking into a lowepro commercial AW.
I pretty much have everything you have except I am running a p2 instead of the 722 and I'm not sure the difference in size of the two. Although I have seen a 722 I have not put a p2 next to one.
I'm partial to the lowepro all weather bags though. The magnum has been very good to me and I like the body condom that you can throw over the entire bag when the skies open up.
edited to add:....
Ah hell I don't read very welll I see you want to downsize from your nova 5 not upsize...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 10:25:33 AM by JackoRoses »
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 10:28:44 AM »
I use a lowepro magnum currently and I really like it but my current setup requires just a little more room and I am now looking into a lowepro commercial AW.
I pretty much have everything you have except I am running a p2 instead of the 722 and I'm not sure the difference in size of the two. Although I have seen a 722 I have not put a p2 next to one.
I'm partial to the lowepro all weather bags though. The magnum has been very good to me and I like the body condom that you can throw over the entire bag when the skies open up.

I REALLY like the nova bags too. If I do stick with the Nova line it would definitely be a Nova 4. It's a couple inches smaller in W x D x H than the nova 5. I want everything to fit tightly to avoid much movement while transporting. I have been giving the Sonicases a long look over, but it would probably be the standard, and not the 4 self model.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:40:23 AM »
I don't have any bag recs but maybe this is a good time to downsize some items in your bag to reduce weight and space.  I've been on a bit of a weight kick lately.. You might:

Dump the shure vert bar for something lighter.  I like the akg link style bar and think it sets up easier.
Replace the big AT shocks with something smaller
Roll a bunch of gaffe tape on a small diameter spool so you don't have to carry the whole roll

good points...i have considered the cheapo superlux mounts, but decided against them since they raised the prices. i can't really see myself using anything but a shure vert bar. the major consolidation i considered, which would make a HUGE difference is dumping the pelican for a couple travel toothbrush holders lined with foam for the AKG bodies and film canisters for the extra caps.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »
I just picked up a Petrol Pegz-1. It seems very nice. It just arrived yesterday and I haven't had time to thoroughly check it out yet. I love my smaller Petrol as well. Their products aren't cheap, but they are top-notch in my opinion.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline bluevolvo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:31:12 PM »
Roll a bunch of gaffe tape on a small diameter spool so you don't have to carry the whole roll

I put a few lengths rolled around my stand leg
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
Hey Stu I'd love to see some rig pics with yours packed up.  Was considering a Pegz.  We have a similar sized rig.  tia  Referring to the 722/v2 thing.

I just picked up a Petrol Pegz-1. It seems very nice. It just arrived yesterday and I haven't had time to thoroughly check it out yet. I love my smaller Petrol as well. Their products aren't cheap, but they are top-notch in my opinion.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:38:35 PM »
Hey Stu I'd love to see some rig pics with yours packed up.  Was considering a Pegz.  We have a similar sized rig.  tia  Referring to the 722/v2 thing.

No problem. I went so far as to stick the 722 and V2 in it after work and it seems like a sweeeet fit for all of my gear. I'll fidget with it this weekend and snap some pics. I started work yesterday at 5 a.m. so I could cut out early for a quick road trip (The Police at Dolphin Stadium  8)) to Miami and drove home after the show. Hence, I haven't had the time or the energy to really screw with customizing/adjusting it to my liking. I will though. I think I'll be pleased with opting for this. FWIW-I was debating going the SoniCase route. I'll be glad to send you pics of my smaller "home-ghetto-modded" Petrol as well if you'd like.

MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com