Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: OPPO 980 supports DSD?  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: OPPO 980 supports DSD?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »
you can pick up an emm dcc6 for under $4k easily enough in the used market.
(fwiw).

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
Yeah, although I dont see SACD being too much of a force in the future. I doubt I will be putting any more money into recording or listening to it. Professor Johnson(reference recordings) seems to think that Blue Ray and HD DVD hold promise for higher resolution Audio, so I will probably put my focus/energy there. SACD is too much of a Pain in the Ass to deal with. My Mytek DAC upsamples everything to 24/192(when superlock is enabled) regardless of the source, and I believe that it sounds as good or better as the same recordings in SACD format. I dont like the weird HF anomalies in DSD either.

you can pick up an emm dcc6 for under $4k easily enough in the used market.
(fwiw).

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 07:00:56 PM »
  The EMM Labs gear uses the SDIF-3 interface which is a beast all it's own.

the 5 digit price tag from EMM, DCS, etc... is beast enough for me.

Have you laid ears on one though...  The DCC2 does the most amazing thing to PCM I've ever heard.  Truly holographic sound.  If I had that kind of cash I would be an owner.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »
I have heard both the DCS and Meitner converters(one of the guys who took me under wing to teach me about recording engineering had every thing a body could dream of)the DCS was actually a  Player with their DAC built in). Kavi Alexander(owner/engineer of Waterlily Acoustics) actually has a pair of the meitner DAC/ADCs for sale for dirt cheap, as well as a Sony Sonoma System....If you are interested in them(or if anyone else is) shoot me a pm.

The most pristine , lifelike, holographic sound I have ever heard came from the Pacific Microsonics Model 1..but that is some serious dough too.

The EMM Labs gear uses the SDIF-3 interface which is a beast all it's own.

the 5 digit price tag from EMM, DCS, etc... is beast enough for me.

Have you laid ears on one though...  The DCC2 does the most amazing thing to PCM I've ever heard.  Truly holographic sound.  If I had that kind of cash I would be an owner.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »
I have heard both the DCS and Meitner converters(one of the guys who took me under wing to teach me about recording engineering had every thing a body could dream of)the DCS was actually a  Player with their DAC built in). Kavi Alexander(owner/engineer of Waterlily Acoustics) actually has a pair of the meitner DAC/ADCs for sale for dirt cheap, as well as a Sony Sonoma System....If you are interested in them(or if anyone else is) shoot me a pm.

The most pristine , lifelike, holographic sound I have ever heard came from the Pacific Microsonics Model 1..but that is some serious dough too.

Then it sounds like I have a new listening goal for the future!

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

RebelRebel

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 11:20:15 PM »
the new reference recordings discs(or newer I should say, they went belly up for a while) use the Pacific Microsonics system. The lead(and only??) sound engineer at that label, "prof" johnson, designed those converters.

Then it sounds like I have a new listening goal for the future!

RebelRebel

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »
Just read about a possible reciever...The Yamaha RX-V2700 processes DSD signals through its HDMI input. There are possible operating modes..1.)"purist mode"The virgin signal( bypassing all DSP processing) is passed to a TI DSD 1791 DAC(that chip has a DSD passthrough mode for converting the DSD Signal to a bipolar voltage) and  filtered in the analog domain. 2.) second mode -one of the DSP processors converts the DSD stream to PCM, allowing consumer to utilize the bass management, time delays, etc..

again, it comes down to the DSD capable DAC.
which...doesn't exist right now outside of very high end gear.  the lowest of which that I can think of is the Sony STR-DA7100ES receiver and matching XA9100ES SACD player.
and they use a proprietary firewire type I/O for that transmission.

the others, EMM, dCS use something else entirely I believe (but am not sure) as their I/O.

so, who is building A/V recievers that can handle DSD outside of the$ 5k Sony ?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 01:56:02 PM by Teddy »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com