Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: photo printer recommendations?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
photo printer recommendations?
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:26:46 AM »
I'm in the market for a new photo printer in the $400-500 range that can print larger than 8x10.  Any recommendations?  The Canon Pixma Pro9000 looks like a winner so far, but I've only read about it.

-Frank
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: photo printer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
I'd do some digging on FredMiranda.  I know it's pretty much between Epson and Canon.  I have an older Epson Stylus Photo R200 and it makes amazing prints for a $100 printer.  I just found the slightly better quality and not having to screw with ink cartridges and photo paper has made me a believer in online labs such as MPix or WhiteHouse.  I can order an 8x10 for something like $3 and shipping is less than $8 so as long as I'm ordering a few prints it really does not matter.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 08:04:18 AM »
...made me a believer in online labs...

That's what I've read.  After all, which is the better printer--the one you and I can afford, or the one priced like a condo?  Still, the ability to make large, high quality prints at home is a luxury I can't resist.  Last night I took a look at the Canon Pixma Pro9000 and flipped through a portfolio of sample images.  Obviously they use images taken by skilled pros that also highlight the strengths of their printer, but the 13x19 enlargements of 12MP images sold me completely.  If it didn't come in such a large box I would have carried it home! 
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
...made me a believer in online labs...

That's what I've read.  After all, which is the better printer--the one you and I can afford, or the one priced like a condo?  Still, the ability to make large, high quality prints at home is a luxury I can't resist.  Last night I took a look at the Canon Pixma Pro9000 and flipped through a portfolio of sample images.  Obviously they use images taken by skilled pros that also highlight the strengths of their printer, but the 13x19 enlargements of 12MP images sold me completely.  If it didn't come in such a large box I would have carried it home! 

The really big prints just chew through ink so fast it's not worth it to me.  I've also noticed that my printers color accuracy has slipped since it was new, and the cost of a system to calibrate color on a printer is nuts.  i can upload to a online lab and have the prints done on a color corrected true archival photo printer for such a reasonable price.  If I order from MPix which is actually a part of Miller Photo Lab right here in Kansas I have prints in the mail in 2 days.  If you are just after 8x10s and don't mind giving up just a touch of quality I can pick prints up at Walgreens or one of the other local online labs, but I prefer the lustre finish paper and most of those labs do glossy only.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com