Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Disable USB charging?  (Read 7076 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Disable USB charging?
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »
I really hate having devices charge their batteries off of my computer.

I know this is a USB "feature" - but I cant stand it...I've already lost 2 motherboards to devices looking for a charge.

Just bricked my main box with a Sonyu Walkman that wanted a charge...fuck this feature!!!

Is there likely to be BIOS settings to turn this off? Special cable?

Hoping my external drives survived this blowup :(

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Disable USB charging?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
hey runonce, I have experienced phone charging blow out a MOBO in my work environment. One of my users had been plugging his phone in to charge, then one day he tells me the mouse won't work. Once I dug into it a a bit I found that a memory stick had gone bad, then allowed some sort of "backcharge" to go to the MOBO which basically killed the MOBO.
I found this link, which is specific to PCs, more specific to AMD/Gigabyte MOBOS, but shows you where on the front of a tower you can move the USB cable from one conector which enables USB charging to one which doesn't: http://www.overclock.net/t/1075735/how-do-i-disable-usb-charging-when-my-pc-is-off

This Windows 7 forum suggests you can't turn off USB charging on the PC, but that many devices, such as iPhone and Android have a turn off USB charging feature: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/disable-usb-power-charging/11d05645-7a06-4225-be8d-2e94e056e314

Here is a link to a youtube video posted to show how to turn it off on Nokia phones- I'm sure there are others for your type of phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYHxu70CUwQ

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:33:23 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Disable USB charging?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
I really hate having devices charge their batteries off of my computer.

I know this is a USB "feature" - but I cant stand it...I've already lost 2 motherboards to devices looking for a charge.

Just bricked my main box with a Sonyu Walkman that wanted a charge...fuck this feature!!!

Is there likely to be BIOS settings to turn this off? Special cable?

Hoping my external drives survived this blowup :(

Asus Mainboards? Lost also 2 of them with that "feature"

Now i got DFI there you can switch off the USB charge in the BIOS (Intel Chipset). But can vary on vendors and models or even during BIOS versions.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com