Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ear phone  (Read 6955 times)

Offline shotyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ear phone
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »
didn't know where to put this, but what is the best in-ear headphones out there? I'm willing to spend about $100-$150. anyone help? thanks!  8)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: ear phone
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
I had some Shure's (forget the model # but they were $100), and the sounded great but didn't fit in my ears comfortably.

So then I tried the Etymonic ER-6i. At first I didn't like the sound, but once they broke in, I've been very happy. The are very comfortable to me. I think I got them for about $70.

If I upgrade, I would more than likely just get some better Etymonics.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »
Check out www.headphone.com for a pretty extensive list of in-ear monitors available.  I personally use Shure's SE530's and love them.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
I'm sure the SE530s sound great, but they're about triple the budget the OP offered.  Good recommendation to check out headphone.com - definitely a good resource.

FWIW, I like my Etymotic ER-6s.  They sound pretty good, match your budget, and will fit - with an adapter - into custom-molded earplugs used with Etymotic filters for über-comfort.  I've not used them, but others like the ER-4s a lot, and they're available online at the high end of your budget.  Note:  neither the ER-6i nor ER-4 will fit custom-molded plugs. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
Check out www.headphone.com for a pretty extensive list of in-ear monitors available.  I personally use Shure's SE530's and love them.

I got some ultimate ears superfi 5pro from here based on their description that I am happy with.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 02:45:26 PM »
I've got custom molded IEMs now that I like (from Microsonic), and I've used Sure E2s and E3s. I think the E3s sound just about as good as my customs, and in ways I prefer their fit. Got mine used for $50. They can be had new at about 2x that.

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
I'm sure the SE530s sound great, but they're about triple the budget the OP offered.  Good recommendation to check out headphone.com - definitely a good resource.

FWIW, I like my Etymotic ER-6s.  They sound pretty good, match your budget, and will fit - with an adapter - into custom-molded earplugs used with Etymotic filters for über-comfort.  I've not used them, but others like the ER-4s a lot, and they're available online at the high end of your budget.  Note:  neither the ER-6i nor ER-4 will fit custom-molded plugs. 

I use these as well (ER-6 w/custom molded earplugs) and love them as far as earbuds go. Can't get a much better fit than custom plugs.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
Is there any reason many people like these kinds of listening devices? I'm sure they are really comfortable but I like my over the ear headphones quite a bit. Maybe I'll check a pair of these out for extra fine listening.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Is there any reason many people like these kinds of listening devices? I'm sure they are really comfortable but I like my over the ear headphones quite a bit. Maybe I'll check a pair of these out for extra fine listening.

Isolation.

Especially when you're mixing FOH at 105dB and you need to see what channel is making funky noises.

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »

Isolation.

Especially when you're mixing FOH at 105dB and you need to see what channel is making funky noises.

That's a hell of a reason. And you're saying something like the Etymotic ER-6 could provide that kind of isolation?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
I've not tried any of the Ety's myself, but yes, they should.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 04:59:52 PM »
Per the Ety site, the ER-6s provide 24-36 dB of attenuation:  http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx.  That's with standard one-size-fits-all plugs, and about as good as you'll get from any in-ear 'phone.  Not sure how the numbers change with custom plugs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »
FWIW, I get less isolation from by customs than from my Sures by virtue of the material they are made of and the fact that I wear the Sures pretty deeply.

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »

Well, if you feel comfortable wearing these things (some do, some don't), then the chances are quite good to find plenty of reasons. The most important thing to me is the good isolation of noise. Next to that, listening to a good binaural recording with a good pair of IEMs is really impressive. There are some things that big headphones just can't provide.

But there also are som cons: These very good buds are not cheap. They often have a high sensitivity in combination with a quite low impedance. Some mobile devices on the other hand have slightly hissy phone outputs (ambient noise that is not growing when you set the volume higher), so the combination of both plus the good isolation (---> low overal listening level) can result in audible noise. Fighting this noise with a set of damping resistors will result in a more or less dramatic loss of high range.

They are near to the optimum, so get used to hear every slight misadjustment you never realized before.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:01 AM »

1.  Like everyone else is saying, isolation.  As well as the low profile nature of iem's over huge headphones lumbering around your head and making you perspire on hazy, hot and humid days).
2.  Sound quality is superb with my se530's and I'm sure the more affordable iem's are rock solid (I also used Shure's e2c's for 2+years before switching to the se530's and I generally liked the e2c's).
3.  I have yet to find a headphone that's ~$500 that blows my se530's away.  The imaging and sound stage can be incredible with the right source (read: rio karma). The only pair of headphones that I own that beat them hands down are my Sennheiser HE60's, which are electrostatic and typically sell for 3x the price tag of the se530's on head-fi.

Synergy plays an important part with iem's. I have a neighbor who used the se530's with his ipod and found they were a bit lackluster (shure iem's are known for their rolled off high frequency response) in comparison to a pair of ety 4's which he raved about (ety's are known to be more flat or neutral sounding in comparison to shure's).  I like my shures because my rio karma has a hell of a dynamic eq system that really allows me to shape the sound the way I think it should sound (ie. fixing the rolled off treble without making it sound exaggerated).   Anyone that has used a rio karma knows what I'm talking about. 

To the OP:  I'm pretty sure that headphone.com has a 30 return policy, so I think they are your best bet until you find a iem that suits your needs.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com