Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: opinions please  (Read 6095 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: opinions please
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 09:56:03 PM »
[
Is he this Joe here?
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1133535764

Shane

Yes, Joe is the owner and usually answers the telephone as well.
You may do better than the price quoted, if you bargain a bit.
I was half-joking about mentioning my name. Talk to him, if you're interested, he is a very knowledgeble and pleasant guy.

I must give you a caveat about my recommendation of the Panache.
As much as I like it, I went with a modded JoLida 502B for my system.
It matched my Missions better and I don't have time to speaker shop right now.
I may very well go back to the Panache after I complete my move back to NJ and get a bigger pair of towers.

Good luck and let us know what you land !

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 12:01:51 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm still having trouble deciding between two channel or surorund.  A couple more questions and then I'll stop.  If I go with the two channel will I still be able to hook up a sub woofer?  Or will I even need one?  And having only two channels and analog hookups how much am I really going to be missing when watching dvds and will I be able to listen to SACDs, DVD audio, shows recorded in 24/96 etc? 

Shane

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 06:40:34 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm still having trouble deciding between two channel or surorund.  A couple more questions and then I'll stop.  If I go with the two channel will I still be able to hook up a sub woofer? 

Yes.  Some amps will have a sub out.  If it doesn't have a sub out, you can run the speaker lines into the sub, and use its crossover, and out the sub to your speakers. (I think).  I've never done this - just had someone explain it to me once.

Or will I even need one? 

Depends on personal taste, and the freq response of your mains!

And having only two channels and analog hookups how much am I really going to be missing when watching dvds and will I be able to listen to SACDs, DVD audio, shows recorded in 24/96 etc? 

Another personal taste thing - if it were me, I wouldn't give a tiny rats ass about dvds and 5.1, DTS, DD, THX, whatever - its all about the toons for me.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2005, 12:18:02 AM »
Two full range speakers for me, just like most live performances.
simplicity, more coherence, less room reflections and resonances.
It puts more resource$ into less components, so that you end up having better sounding gear.
just my opinion.....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:36:47 AM by _Bob_ »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2005, 12:20:42 AM »
I agree with Bob on this one. On very good recordings (and movies), I hear surround effects from a two-channel system. Same goes for his statement on the money.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 02:51:46 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I thikn I'm going to bite the bullet an dgo two channel.  My feelings have been much like you stated Bob.  For the same amount of money I can get two higher quality channels instead of five.  As far as dvds go I was chatting with a buddy of imne today about it and he staed something painfully obvious to me:
"what the hell do you need surround for on those f*#^$* romantic comedies and indy films you always watch?"  He's pretty much right I rarely watch action movies.  Hell I watch tv dvd more than anything nowadays anyway. 
So that's it.  Now I just have to decide on what amp to get (leaning towards the Portal Panache) and then try and not buy speakers too.

Shane

BobW

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 01:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I thikn I'm going to bite the bullet an dgo two channel.  My feelings have been much like you stated Bob.  For the same amount of money I can get two higher quality channels instead of five.  As far as dvds go I was chatting with a buddy of imne today about it and he staed something painfully obvious to me:
"what the hell do you need surround for on those f*#^$* romantic comedies and indy films you always watch?"  He's pretty much right I rarely watch action movies.  Hell I watch tv dvd more than anything nowadays anyway. 
So that's it.  Now I just have to decide on what amp to get (leaning towards the Portal Panache) and then try and not buy speakers too.

Shane

Just to make your life confusing   ;D   give a listen to the PS Audio Stereo Control amp in that price class.
Class D, but sounds great !

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.221 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com