Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: xACT feature request: Paging Scott Brown  (Read 8117 times)

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
xACT feature request: Paging Scott Brown
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
I know this is near heresy to even suggest but.... it would save me a lot of time if the flac tags converted to mp3 tags when encoding using lame. Is this an easy fix that was just overlooked or a big problem?

I realize the lossy tab was just added relatively recently, and it has certain taboo as far as tapers are concerned... so if you don't wanna touch this, I completely understand.

If you are wondering why I might use the lossy tab... it's because the mp3's are going to get made... there is a demand for them... so I'd rather be the one to make them, and make sure they're made right at V0, and encoded from the 24bit masters. Which does make a difference.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: xACT feature request: Paging Scott Brown
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
I know this is near heresy to even suggest but.... it would save me a lot of time if the flac tags converted to mp3 tags when encoding using lame. Is this an easy fix that was just overlooked or a big problem?

I realize the lossy tab was just added relatively recently, and it has certain taboo as far as tapers are concerned... so if you don't wanna touch this, I completely understand.

If you are wondering why I might use the lossy tab... it's because the mp3's are going to get made... there is a demand for them... so I'd rather be the one to make them, and make sure they're made right at V0, and encoded from the 24bit masters. Which does make a difference.

I would also appreciate a feature such as this!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »
Glad someone brought this up - would be a useful feature.

I use another app called Switch sometimes, which does this, but I wish I could use xAct for everything.

I would also appreciate a feature such as this!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:27:21 PM »
Nice idea.

What is the most recent version of xACT? And where does it reside. The Sourceforge links are dead.
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »
1.69 is the latest...
Thank you Dave!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 02:39:58 PM by printguy »
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
Hope he doesn't mind me posting the link. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline printguy

• Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
Hope he doesn't mind me posting the link. :)
Just in case... I've edited my post.
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline fleish

• I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:51 AM »
I've traded emails with Scott also about some feature enhancements that would be nice. Of course I can't find them at the moment :yawn: ... there's also an xact-users mailing list on yahoo.

Thanks for the 1.69 link
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 02:06:56 AM »
1.69 is the latest: http://satellite.epix.net/~scb/stuff/test/xACT%201.69.zip
Weird thing about xACT, I have never noticed that the FLAC tagger works at all?! Shouldn't it change the modification date/time if it's doing something? I use TAG and it changes the mod date/time every time I save a change to tags.

I like the SAVE TO ORIGINAL DIRECTORY option on the new version. That will save me many a click!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:53:26 AM »
sorry, missed this thread.  woops

Do flac tags not move over to LAME mp3 tags now?  I forget.  I know they didn't when I first put LAME mp3 encoding in.  But when I added AAC encoding (with flac tags in the aac files), I may have also made the LAME mp3 encoding do the right thing with FLAC tags.  I think I did.  I'm at work on an XP machine now, though, so I can't verify

By the way, I put in the AAC encoding so I could use Quicktime's VBR aac encoding.  It's pretty nice, and I use it over LAME now.

I've traded emails with Scott also about some feature enhancements that would be nice. Of course I can't find them at the moment :yawn: ... there's also an xact-users mailing list on yahoo.

Do you remember what you wanted?  I have gotten a bunch of requests for little things, but haven't done much.  Some requests seem like small things, but actually require a lot of effort.  Others are small and do-able, but I just haven't gotten around to it.  Work has been busy, so getting home and doing more coding is sometimes the last thing I want to do.  But if you have a request that would definitely be useful and wouldn't take too much time to do, I'll look into it.  I think i'm up to version 1.71 or something at home on my machine.  I guess I should make these latest ones available

Weird thing about xACT, I have never noticed that the FLAC tagger works at all?! Shouldn't it change the modification date/time if it's doing something? I use TAG and it changes the mod date/time every time I save a change to tags.

I like the SAVE TO ORIGINAL DIRECTORY option on the new version. That will save me many a click!

It does change the time.  The one difference about the tagging tag is that you actually have to select the files to add tags.  In every other tab, you just add files and tell the app to do it's thing: encode, decode, run shntool commands, fix, etc.  But in the flac tag tab, you add the files, then select the file(s) you want to add tags to (click the filename in the file list). 

Also, I think I added a "save to source directory" a while back (maybe 1.65?).  It was when I put in a warning when you chose "delete original files."

Note to any PPC users: my girlfriend's iBook is on its last legs, and that's the only PPC machine I have access to to compile anything.  So I might not be able to keep updating certain command line tools as they are updated.  I don't really think this will be an issue, though, since the underlying tools are rarely updated anyway (and if they are, there haven't been "major" updates in a while).

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
sorry, missed this thread.  woops

Do flac tags not move over to LAME mp3 tags now?  I forget.  I know they didn't when I first put LAME mp3 encoding in.  But when I added AAC encoding (with flac tags in the aac files), I may have also made the LAME mp3 encoding do the right thing with FLAC tags.  I think I did.  I'm at work on an XP machine now, though, so I can't verify

By the way, I put in the AAC encoding so I could use Quicktime's VBR aac encoding.  It's pretty nice, and I use it over LAME now.

Do you remember what you wanted?  I have gotten a bunch of requests for little things, but haven't done much.  Some requests seem like small things, but actually require a lot of effort.  Others are small and do-able, but I just haven't gotten around to it.  Work has been busy, so getting home and doing more coding is sometimes the last thing I want to do.  But if you have a request that would definitely be useful and wouldn't take too much time to do, I'll look into it.  I think i'm up to version 1.71 or something at home on my machine.  I guess I should make these latest ones available

It does change the time.  The one difference about the tagging tag is that you actually have to select the files to add tags.  In every other tab, you just add files and tell the app to do it's thing: encode, decode, run shntool commands, fix, etc.  But in the flac tag tab, you add the files, then select the file(s) you want to add tags to (click the filename in the file list). 

Also, I think I added a "save to source directory" a while back (maybe 1.65?).  It was when I put in a warning when you chose "delete original files."

Note to any PPC users: my girlfriend's iBook is on its last legs, and that's the only PPC machine I have access to to compile anything.  So I might not be able to keep updating certain command line tools as they are updated.  I don't really think this will be an issue, though, since the underlying tools are rarely updated anyway (and if they are, there haven't been "major" updates in a while).

Scott, thanks for all of your efforts.  I've got 1.69 and sometimes, when adding FLAC tags, the auto-name feature fails, even though I've pasted in the track names.  Sometimes it fails at track 1, 2, 3, sometimes is completes.  Any ideas why?

Thanks again!

keytohwy

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »
When it fails, does it sometimes put all the track names on 1 or 2 tracks?

I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't like the line breaks of a setlist if i've cut and pasted it from the web or somewhere else. It doesn't always recognize that there's a line break, so it puts all the names or some of them on 1 track.  I guess I could try to clean up the line breaks before it tries to parse them out into separate names.  I'll see what I can do

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:44:29 PM »
When it fails, does it sometimes put all the track names on 1 or 2 tracks?

I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't like the line breaks of a setlist if i've cut and pasted it from the web or somewhere else. It doesn't always recognize that there's a line break, so it puts all the names or some of them on 1 track.  I guess I could try to clean up the line breaks before it tries to parse them out into separate names.  I'll see what I can do

I don't recall it putting multiple names in a title, just that it fails.

I'll look at it again this week and see if I can nail down what happens.  Perhaps if I "clean" the line breaks in BBEdit or something, as yes, I copy the text from my plain text files, generally.

keytohwy

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 07:14:58 PM »
I think i'm up to version 1.71 or something at home on my machine.  I guess I should make these latest ones available

Anyone know if Scott's made 1.71 available?
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline ckc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Some of My Masters -- on Live Music Archive
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
Always looking for old and new recordings of:
Fruit Bats
Dolly Varden
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
Sloan
Scott Miller [and the Commonwealth]

Offline scb

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »
yeah, and again, i didn't give it to macupdate....someone else did

it might be buggy....

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
yeah, and again, i didn't give it to macupdate....someone else did

it might be buggy....

I haven't shared the link you sent me, Scott.  I can help you distribute if you wish.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
i might just let this one be public and update it at versiontracker, too.  not sure yet

i'm bored for the next few days, might try to fix some stuff or add some small things

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com