Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there a limit to how much I should amplify a file in Audacity?  (Read 8640 times)

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I apologize if a similar question has been asked before. I have to run and don't have time to search the old threads.

I recorded a solo piano performance by a jazz giant at an auditorium last night with my CA-14 (cards) -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10 (24bit/ 44.1 kHz). The levels are somewhat low. When I get ready to amplify the level in Audacity it is suggesting boosting it by 20db to get it to 1. Is that too much?
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Is there a limit to how much I should amplify a file in Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »
I apologize if a similar question has been asked before. I have to run and don't have time to search the old threads.

I recorded a solo piano performance by a jazz giant at an auditorium last night with my CA-14 (cards) -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10 (24bit/ 44.1 kHz). The levels are somewhat low. When I get ready to amplify the level in Audacity it is suggesting boosting it by 20db to get it to 1. Is that too much?

The amount to amplify wouldn't change by program, your material is just quiet. I recomend not clipping the resulting file after amping, but other then that, it is what it is.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
Your ears will tell you when you've reached the limit.  If you have to amp so much that the noise floor starts to get overly audible, if the music still sounds good just use a filter to get rid of the noise.  FWIW, as long as you recorded in 24bit, you could amplify ALOT and still have a reasonable recording, so 20db is not too much as long as it still sounds good and the noise isn't overly audible.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:01:43 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »
Thank you for the responses. The noise floor seems a bit more noticable at 20 so I think I will boost it somewhat less.

runonce

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:45:38 PM »
Isnt the Signal to noise ratio going to be fixed no matter how much you Amplify?

Running levels too low will just mean you have to crank up your stereo - and add more noise...

Id take the the whole 20...

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
if you're adding noise from your stereo you can always turn it down and the noise will go away. if you add it to the recording it will be there even if you turn down the stereo or play it on a better one. 
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
Regarding whether you amplify with your stereo during playback or with your software during mastering, it seems to me that it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other... 

IOW, you have to boost noise in order to hear the music whether you do it in your DAW or with your stereo amp.  In either case, you're still amplifying the noise floor the same amount as the music you want to hear.  That's why I suggested that you should use your DAW to minimize the noise using a filter or one of the compression tools.  That's the easiest way I know to reduce noise relative to music levels after the fact.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:37:45 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »
Regarding whether you amplify with your stereo during playback or with your software during mastering, it seems to me that it's 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other... 

IOW, you have to boost noise in order to hear the music whether you do it in your DAW or with your stereo amp.  In either case, you're still amplifying the noise floor the same amount as the music you want to hear.  That's why I suggested that you should use your DAW to minimize the noise using a filter or one of the compression tools.  That's the easiest way I know to reduce noise relative to music levels after the fact.

steve with the logic win.

I still agree to do it in the DAW. You may take a light or conservative approach to the noise reduction, but there isn't any noise reduction in your playback. The correct action was to run it hotter, but that wasn't an option, and the resulting decision is paltry comparatively.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

runonce

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »
if you're adding noise from your stereo you can always turn it down and the noise will go away. if you add it to the recording it will be there even if you turn down the stereo or play it on a better one.

huh? If you turn down your stereo - wont the music also go away? I think you're confusing adding noise and adding gain.

Without regard to noise reduction...(no mention of that in the OP)

The S/N is fixed in the master. Adding gain in Audacity does not change that ratio. Both the noise and signal are amplified the same amount. Adding gain to the source file just means you dont have run your stereo as loud.

If you just crank up the low level source - you are still working with the same S/N - but you are also adding all the noise from your cranked stereo.(which obviously varies for every playback device)

So - I think its 6 of one - and a dozen of the other...i.e. - not amping in a DAW will mean a noisier recording during playback at normal listening levels.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
i wasn't saying to not add gain at all, but there is a sensible limit. going past that just so you don't have to turn your stereo up a bit is not a reasonable solution imo.   

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:34 AM »
I think the lesson for me which I am still trying to learn is to get the levels right at the time of recording. In any event, I think overall it is a fairly decent recording, so I am satisfied.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
yep, recording one stereo channel doesn't give you much to play with. get used to your equipment and what you need to do to get the best response from it. "fixing it in post" is far from the best thing to rely on. 

and yep, if you're happy, that's all that matters.

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 11:47:30 PM »
I need more help. I just got in from recording a jazz quartet performance in a concert hall on a college campus. I am still getting low levels (especially when I use my cards) even when I turn the gain on my CA-9100 to the max. Can anyone offer specific step by step instructions on what I should be doing in post in Audacity? What I have usually done is amplify the entire file at once. Should I do it in segments? It seems that the increase in volume on the applause parts limits how much I can amplify when I do the entire file at once. But I have been concerned that if I do it in segments (or each tune) it may screw with the natural dynamics of the entire performance - i.e. some tunes really are intended to be quieter than others. I think the post processing requires a lot more time and patience than I usually have at home.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 12:50:53 AM »
I need more help. I just got in from recording a jazz quartet performance in a concert hall on a college campus. I am still getting low levels (especially when I use my cards) even when I turn the gain on my CA-9100 to the max. Can anyone offer specific step by step instructions on what I should be doing in post in Audacity? What I have usually done is amplify the entire file at once. Should I do it in segments? It seems that the increase in volume on the applause parts limits how much I can amplify when I do the entire file at once. But I have been concerned that if I do it in segments (or each tune) it may screw with the natural dynamics of the entire performance - i.e. some tunes really are intended to be quieter than others. I think the post processing requires a lot more time and patience than I usually have at home.

So your crowd noise is louder than the performance? Just making sure I understand this correctly before I suggest anything.

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »
Yes. The applause is frequently louder than the music.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com