Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wavelab resampling/dithering issue solution  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
wavelab resampling/dithering issue solution
« on: September 13, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »
I remember some time back, an issue w/ Wavelab and resampling/dithering came up.  When you resample/dither with plugins in Wavelab the specs in the lower right hand corner (and the specs after you save the file and look at it in windows for that matter) would reflect the chaged sample rate, but not the changed bit rate.  Well I finally got an answer as to why...

"Hi Scott,

a plugin can change the sample rate of a file, but it cannot change the bit depth. It will truncate the last bits by filling these with zeros, but the they're not cut from the file.

This can only be done by WaveLab, for example using the *save as* dialog. Another (time-saving) option would be creating a *specific file* from the render dialog, there you can specify the desired bit depth."

I still think it's annoying >:(, but at least I found out why it's happening.  Just thought peeps would want to know about it.

MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: wavelab resampling/dithering issue solution
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:30:45 PM »
This has been bothering me for quite awhile now with WL5's uv22hr dither plugin.  With WL4, after you use the dither plugin, the specs change to "16-bit", but with WL5 it remains as "24-bit".  I just figured my apogee plugin wasn't working in WL5 and went back to using WL4 for resample/dither.  How can we verify the file is a "padded" 16bit file?  Use Wave Lab's "bit meter"?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 01:45:52 PM »
How can we verify the file is a "padded" 16bit file?  Use Wave Lab's "bit meter"?

yeah, or you can just highlight a section, go analysis, global analysis and on the extra tab, you'll find something called apparent bit resolution.  Run the analysis and see what you get.  CEP users can do the same analysis - it shows up at the bottom of the summary as actual bit depth

Once you're down to 16 bit actual (in a 24 bit word), you can then truncate down to 16.  Personally, with wavelab I've always done it in one step.  When you click render, under 'result', select 'create new file, check the box that says 'create specific file', name the file and set the box below to wav 16 bit.  Done.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 02:06:34 PM »
Once you're down to 16 bit actual (in a 24 bit word), you can then truncate down to 16.  Personally, with wavelab I've always done it in one step.  When you click render, under 'result', select 'create new file, check the box that says 'create specific file', name the file and set the box below to wav 16 bit.  Done.

I did that, the resulting file still says "24bit" in the description.  I even double (and triple) checked that I had that new file set to 16.  I'll have to try again, then do the analysis.  Right now my computer is dead, so it will have to wait a few days.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com