Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic suggestion for on-camera voice recording at a wedding - ?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
mic suggestion for on-camera voice recording at a wedding - ?
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »
hi all.

a friend of mine has a panasonic hdc-hs300 camcorder.  he's looking to buy an external mic for it to record a wedding.

the primary use would be voice work, namely passing the camera around so that guests can say something into it or whatever.  concerns are price (<$300 - ?), size (not TOO huge) and off-axis response as the environment will be noisy.

anything fit the bill?  he's not a taper but is a photog and has some concern for quality (thus the search for the external mic)

thanks.
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: mic suggestion for on-camera voice recording at a wedding - ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »
It's not going to be easy to get for less than $300

Definitely, he wants a shotgun to reduce extraneous sounds and zero in on each guest.  He'll also want a shockmount and probably at least a foam windscreen.

http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/rycote-033702.htm

Rode's Videomic might do the job and it's $150

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U9SOC

Rode's NTG-1 and NTG-2 mics have a good reputation.  There are some Audio Technica fans with shotguns, too.  I use a Sennheiser ME66/K6 combination but it's well out of his price range.

On another note, I wouldn't "pass the mic" around.   I would find a relatively quiet location and try to bring the guests there to make their comments.  That way you can control the lighting and background, shot angle etc.  TIP: With the camera on a tripod, stand and hold the mic on one side of the video camera so the subject is looking a little off camera.  Switch which side you stand on every time you record a different person.  In the editing process, you'll find you can avoid what appear to be jump cuts by having a subject looking in a different direction when the sound bites are butted together.

Offline heikki

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ...and i'm as honest as a jersey man can be
    • OutDated List
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »

thanks for the info!

the NTG-x are pretty much what i found as well.  i've been helping him with the search a bit since mics aren't really his thing.

i'll pass along the tip about the tripod, might be a good idea and probably safer for his camera as well ;-)
C 480 B + CK61/63
          Edirol R-4 (Oade T-Mod x 4)

Masters on LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/heikki

Offline chicofishhead

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 02:44:26 PM »
I have done this before at friends' weddings.  I have a $20 Behringer speaking microphone with a 20 foot cord that I plug into an XLR input on my PD170.  I'll have someone go around with the mic and ask people to make comments.  You'll get way more people if you go to them than if you try to get them to come to you.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:09:29 AM »
Many 'gorrilla' videographers have done very well with knowing/using HRTF headworn/baffled stereo surround mics as shown on my company's video page.   

If camera has plug-in-mic power jack, then just plug this type mic in, or use a battery box in-series with the mic.  Indoor/windy outdoor compatible with windscreen headband accessory.

Microphone models + accessory at: www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm

This recording method tact lmakes recording any kind of audio in any condition very easy leaving the task of getting clear consistent audio to be a completely hands-free operation, and results are always of exceptional quality even in the most noisy environment as HRTF mics records exactly what the videographer hears POV in virtual reality stereo-surround.

HRTF Recordings of ENG and other ambient sounds available here: www.sonicstudios.com/mpg.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com