Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: looking for a great new pocketable digital camera. let's hear the suggestions!  (Read 4842 times)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I have had the Nikon 3100 since March 2003. it's great but the 'no mic during the movies' really blew. 30,000 photos later, I took a really hard spill while trying to take a picture ass-drunk and I braced my 4 foot fall to the ground with my left elbow and my camera in my right hand. I'm suprised it still even powers up and the lense isn't smashed. but it still works, but something is wrong now with the battery contacts. it thinks it is always 'on' and drains fresh batteries in a day or two, even with it sitting there off.

so I had been holding off on a new pocketable digi cam for a while, but once I started busting out the duct tape to try and fix the battery door (that also was smashed, I figured it was time to start looking at the current models.

what i'd like:

*movie capabilities with sound. extra points for 'unlimited time' movies (sonys do this) where the only limit is the amount of space on the card.
*large LCD. I hear 3.0" is the norm now and there are some casio's that have a huge 3.5. it makes looking at my old 1.5" LCD monitor look like a postage stamp.
*quick startup / shutdown
*decent optical zoom

suggestions? I have a Canon Pro 350D SLR so that end is covered, I just like a small point and shoot for parties and random stuff. it would be cool if it had Av, Tv, P, etc... the nikon really was a pretty cripled point and shoot. i'd like to not go that route on this new camera.

I like the Canon SD series, any other suggestions? thanks!
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...

I just got the SD630 and it's world's better than my Powershot S50. I didn't do a really thorough search of the market though, just knew I was satisfied with the S50 so stuck with Canon.

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Stop it.
I've got a Sony...P100??  I think thats the model. 5mp. Great, small size. It takes the most awesome videos - thats my favorite thing about it. Limit is how much space is on your memory stick. If you go to youtube and search members for walker328 you'll see a bunch of concert videos I've done on there. I think youtube compresses mpgs or something, but the video quality of this camera is excellent IMO. As for still shots - digital cameras are tricky, most have a delay between when you hit the shutter and when it actually shoots the picture, so that takes some getting used to, but its not bad at all on this camera.  This one also is rechargeable which kicks butt. One battery charge seems to last - long enough for me! One charge got me through 4 nights of Salmon over New Years back then.

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Sony-P100/Sony-DSC-P100-review.htm

edit: another good review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P100/P1A.HTM

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:22:37 PM by NotSoBlue »
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
i agree with george, to the extent you can find a camera in your budget, i would stick with the canon line.  their chipsets in the P&S cameras, imo, are superior to most other manufacturers.  most of the P&S line has the same DIGIC II processing chips that are in your 350D. 

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo

Me too, tough to go wrong with these.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
I've got the pocket-sized Canon SD300 and love it.

Here's a 90 second clip I shot (173MB avi, but it looks decent full-screen):
Raq 2006-04-15

Con = proprietary battery, so for festivals/camping you'll need a second batt or a way to recharge.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
i really enjoy my Casio Exilim EXZ50.  sure it would be nice if it had better manual control of iso for lowlight situations, but if you arent going to be taking a ton of pictures at shows you should be fine.

it is already outdated in the sense that there are newer verison of it in production.  i would probably get it again, since the price was really good, although there are a few drawbacks (the biggest being what i stated above).

it is way tiny.  it fits inside my pocket while inside a lowe case. 
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
yeah the EXZ50 is amazing. my friend has it. HUGE LCD, blazing fast startup / ready to go time... and yeah great photos. and smaller then a deck of cards. super slim. but yeah, no manual control of ISO sucks. I had the same problem with the nikon. it was worthless for concert shots. i gave up on using it for those years ago.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline 1st set only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
I just got the canon sd450 and it is very nice. I love the size and design.
remember a camera is only good if you use it alot. a camera that you can take anyware is just great.
the show is over go home please.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
Canon A540.  6.0 megapixel. Unlimited time AVI movies.  Manual ISO settings, wide angle, uses canon DIGIC II image processor.  Uses 2xAA batteries and has a good battery life. 2.5" LCD screen. Still a "pocket size" camera. Can be found online for less than $250 bucks
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
I just got a Canon S80 and I really like it a lot.  1GB file break for movies; I have not tried this myself to confirm, however.  Just re-stating what is in the instruction manual.  8MP, 3.6x optical zoom with an additional 4x digital zoom.  What I like the most about this camera is that it has the most flexible manual modes out of any P&S camera that I researched.  ISO 50, 100, 200, and 400 speeds, aperature settings from 2.8 - 8.0, an unlimited shutter speed setting, and even manual focus.  Very fast power up / down with the camera activated by a slide over the face of the camera that protects the lens.

The video modes are also cool.  Offers 30fps at 640x480 and 15fps at 1024x768; each with sound.  I have only taken it out a few times, but I like it a lot already.  It's my first digital camera and I was specifically looking for something with good manual control.

The downside to this camera is that you cannot shoot in RAW mode with it.  It does offer DIGC II processing, though.

I got mine from $420 from BuyDig.com.  Arrived with no problem and everything.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
gina and i have been looking at the canon sd700IS.   the image stabilization is pretty sweet as she uses Canon IS lenses on her Rebel and really likes them.   its also really small.   we are torn if the IS is worth it or if we should go with an 8mp option instead of the 6 in the IS.

anyone used the 700is that can comment?

Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
*movie capabilities with sound. extra points for 'unlimited time' movies (sonys do this) where the only limit is the amount of space on the card.
*large LCD. I hear 3.0" is the norm now and there are some casio's that have a huge 3.5.
*quick startup / shutdown
*decent optical zoom

suggestions? I have a Canon Pro 350D SLR so that end is covered, I just like a small point and shoot for parties and random stuff. it would be cool if it had Av, Tv, P, etc...

If you really need 3,0" LCD, your choices are still pretty limited.
Try using these comparison tools:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

These models come up, but then you have to filter them out manually according to the physical size you can bear, video capacity etc:
Canon PowerShot SD630 Digital ELPH
Fuji FinePix F650
Fuji FinePix V10
HP Photosmart R927
Kodak EasyShare One
Nikon Coolpix S6
Olympus SP-700
Samsung Digimax Pro815
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-N1
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T30
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
The Canon PowerShot SD630 I ended up getting about a month or two ago for $400 is now $360 in this week's Best Buy circular. It's worked out great and has the 3" LCD.

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
gina and i have been looking at the canon sd700IS.   the image stabilization is pretty sweet as she uses Canon IS lenses on her Rebel and really likes them.   its also really small.   we are torn if the IS is worth it or if we should go with an 8mp option instead of the 6 in the IS.

anyone used the 700is that can comment?

My wife and I are also looking at getting this camera to upgrade our all around portable camera.  She has an IS lens on her Rebel and we really like the results.  One thing that catches my eye with the SD700 is the 4x optical zoom (as opposed to 3x for most others), the IS, and the ability to do 800 ISO speed.  From the few reviews I have read, the IS combined with 800 ISO gives much better low light pics.  For the tapersection.com content, this means better concert pics  ;D

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com