Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audix Fusion series  (Read 1756 times)

Offline beatnikbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Audix Fusion series
« on: November 10, 2005, 03:25:10 PM »
I'm hoping the mighty tapers can provide some insight for the lost musician...

We're getting into taping our own shows. I bought a M-Audio Microtrack 24/96 compact flash recorder, which I love.

In terms of mics, our drummer has a drum mic kit from Audix -- the Fusion series. It has an f12 for the kick drum, three f10s for the toms and snare, and a pair of f15s for overheads (cymbals). All condenser mics. The set cost maybe $600.

What do you think?

A) Use the overheads.
B) Use the tom mics.
C) You're a moron. Buy some mics that are made for audience recording.

We have been using the overhead mics, and the recordings sound fine for our purposes. But the drums, especially the cymbals, sound pretty loud. What do you think?

A) Of course they sound loud. You're using mics designed to pick up cymbals.
B) Of course they sound loud. Your drummer beats on those things like his life depends upon it. Tell him to use some finesse.
C) Of course they sound loud. And the walls are melting. Lay off the green stuff.
D) You're imagining it.

OK guys, thanks for the input. Check us out at www.beatnikbrown.com . Any Philly heads who want to come and check us out (and maybe show us how a REAL tper does it!) just gimmie a shout.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audix Fusion series
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »
they are not all condenser microphones.  just the f15's.  The drummer I play music with owns the kit minus the f15's. the f12 and f10's are dynamic microphones.

I would only try the f15's for taping.

However I have to go with answer C. spend the 600 dollars towards some nice cardioid condensers.  hell, sometimes ADK A51Tl's go for that or $650 around here and they have 4 polar patterns.  that's what I would do.

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 10:50:35 PM »
However I have to go with answer C. spend the 600 dollars towards some nice cardioid condensers.
The $600 is already spent, the drummer has the mics.

The F-10 and F-12 are also cardioids (maybe that's what you were thinking), but only the F-15s are condensors (as Brian states). Data sheet here:
http://www.audixusa.com/Acrobat/Fusion_Packs_spec_sheet.pdf
The very lowest right freq response on page 2 for the F-15 shows why this mic isn't so hot for this application - significant bass rolloff and significant high frequency boost. They're definitely tuned to pick up cymbals.

Your drummer probably is playing too loud, though. :-)
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:09:48 PM »
Pick up some SP C-4s or even Octava MC12's. They'll work much better than the Audix for PA recording. BTW, are you recording the band from the audience, or from on stage?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com