Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Freq response for Sennheiser ME caps?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Freq response for Sennheiser ME caps?
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:33:23 AM »
I noticed that the Sennheiser ME series (ME-20, ME-40, ME-80 etc) used to be popular in the old days.

But looking at the frequency curves, they all drop off at 15,000Hz, which doesn't seem optimal for taping?!
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/K3N.pdf/$File/K3N.pdf

Was there a particular reason for running these caps anyway?
Or was the stated specs too modest, with the mics performing better IRL?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: Freq response for Sennheiser ME caps?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
I noticed that the Sennheiser ME series (ME-20, ME-40, ME-80 etc) used to be popular in the old days.

But looking at the frequency curves, they all drop off at 15,000Hz, which doesn't seem optimal for taping?!
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/K3N.pdf/$File/K3N.pdf

Was there a particular reason for running these caps anyway?
Or was the stated specs too modest, with the mics performing better IRL?
I believe the K3 are the predecessors to the K6 system.  As far as quality of caps go, these could be pretty good.  They are electret.  I've tried the KE10 capsule, which is in the MKE40 lav mics, and also the one at Microphone madness.  This is very nice sounding, but a bit lacking in bass.  These capsules (and the newer K6) appear to have the KE14 capsule, which has lower noise, more bass, and *probably* good sound, though I have not tried it.

Interesting to see this K3 series shown as "actives".  I'm sure it is easy to run the K6 series in the same way, with a battery box.  I *almost* bought the K6 heads on sale recently, but did not need any more distractions at the moment.

Oh yeah, 15kHz.  I would not worry about it.  Once you're over 30yo you won't hear that anyway.  Stand near an old (tube) TV.  Do you hear the high-pitched whine (15.x kHz)?  If not, you won't notice it in your recordings.  You'll see the 15.x kHz spike in the spectrum of your recordings though...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Freq response for Sennheiser ME caps?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
The K3U/ME-80 (short shotgun) was my first set of mics, and I have the ME-40 (cardioid) as well. The mics are very consistent and solid performers. I have made great recordings with both the 40's and the 80's - although I prefer the 40's these days as I am not as much of a fan of the shotgun sound. I have not used the ME-20 Omni capsule yet but judging by the other capsules I would think the sound should be very decent. The 50Hz - 15kHz freq. response is not something to be concerned with; my recordings have plenty of good bass and are nice and crispy. A good pre-amp brings out some very nice mids. I find them to have a rather transparent sound - not sterile but more neutral. What goes in > what come out...

The system is quite versatile as it can be run on 12-48v phantom or a small 6v battery that should run for approx 500hrs. The mics can often be found for a great price used on ebay. The capsules can be run remotely from (but still with) the bodies but the remote cables do not exist - you have to build them and I am pretty sure the parts needed are no longer available from Sennheiser. You may be able to cannibalize some K3x bodies to get what you need but I really do not know  - esteyes1 on this board is the expert on this mic system. You may also be able to rig them up with a cable that can be run to a battery box similar to what many are doing with the AKG ck9x capsules. It should be noted that the cables are actually remote cables. They are not active. The term 'active cable' is used rather loosely around here - it only applies to cables that actually have electronics in them, like the Schoeps KC5g. The cables used in the Neumann FET100 system (LC 3 KA) are actually remote cables - the capsules themselves in this system contain the electronics and are therefore active. [/rambling]

I find it surprising that more people do not use these mics. I got a pair or K3U/ME-40s in great shape last year on ebay for $99.98. Add an Edirol R-09HR or similar deck and you have a very decent rig that is perfect for the beginner or anyone who needs a quality second rig. I take mine out in inclement weather or any other time I am concerned for the safety of the Schoeps.

edit: It seems that the Naiant Littlebox is turning out to be one hell of a performer - add this guy into the chain and you really have a great rig with a price that is pretty tough to beat.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:59:14 PM by Kyle »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com