Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4060 gooseneck? / windscreens instead of grids  (Read 2225 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
4060 gooseneck? / windscreens instead of grids
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:48:59 AM »
is there something similar to this...

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=273&item=24242

for the 4060?

or can i just somehow attach a 4060 mount to the top of this thing, or drape it with no mount?

also, was reading that some people use the 4060 windscreen in place of the grid to protect the capsule. good idea or not?

i'm going to experiment with taking the grids off, but then are you supposed to put the grid back on after recording? this seems like a pita.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: 4060 gooseneck? / windscreens instead of grids
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
For gooseneck style mounting, gaff taping each to a semi-rigid but flexible wire or rod works well.  I use stainless or aluminum welding rod, but something like straightened coat hanger wire would also work.  Details and photos documenting the welding rod setup years ago are here- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=96009.msg1279100#msg1279100

The grids come off pretty easily, they go back on even more easily..and they can also get lost easily when doing so.  I always use the short grids while recording. If I need to compensate for frequency response I do so with some EQ afterwards.  I only run them without the grids if I've lost them and don't have a replacement immediately available.  If you need to protect them from a possible crush hazzards or fabric noise then the DPA concealers or boundarymounts help.  The boundary mounts do change the response somewhat, making it slightly more peaked up top.  I usually prefer simply gaff taping them to a surface unless I need the crush/fabric noise protection of the boundary mounts.  I don't notice a response difference with the concealers.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: 4060 gooseneck? / windscreens instead of grids
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
..or drape it with no mount?

That works fine too, just keep the mic housing from touching anything unless its securely fastened to it with tape or whatever so you don't get mechanical vibration noise.  You don't want them mooving and swinging around too much, but that's usually not a problem. 

All this applys as well to other miniature omnis like B3s, Church, AT, etc..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com