Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 4061 or 4062?  (Read 5850 times)

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA 4061 or 4062?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 07:52:19 AM »
I'm very happy with my DPA4061's, also have a pair of 4090's; didn't like the CA-14's, so there goes your personal preference.... :D
But really, the DPAs are not that expensive. I got a used SMK4061 kit, with the mics, different types of mounts, XLR adapters, etc. for $500 bucks on ebay. Not dirt cheap, but not too bad. The same seller had a few of those kits, and they all sold for around $500 each.

Offline mr qpl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »
I've never overloaded my 4061's unless the battery to the battery box was dead-ish. Recorded some really loud shows with them, too.

Offline symoka01

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »
Thanks for all the immense replies# that's why I love this board! Although I absolutely love my 853's (and would argue a few of my tapes rival some of the best available for certain bands and even clubs I still sometimes feeling limited by them. I've had a couple situations that the split level made them cheese (not counting out microtrack2496 1/4" input limitations).  In addition, could be location or mix, but, mix is really not what I heard in my ears.

All this said, I do master almost all shows (equal, levels, occasional slight compression, etc) and don't necessarily need 4061 w/ frequency boost...however, I find this is where 853's lack - med-hi,s. I  also find them difficult with thick low bass (makes low and med-low mix very imbalanced and muddy).  These are my two biggest complaints with the 853's.
 I've also had a few situations where its been too quiet for mice 853's

I know there's not one solution for all these issues, but would like a mic that can cover many of them and be a potential overall improvement to 853 sound which I love. 

Although the deneke ps2 I think sounds great with the 853s, it is bulky. A stealth action with no compromise to sound would be ideal.

I know the microtrack2496 is dated, but I think it produces very clear recordings.  I'm sure there's some recorders now that sounds even better and are cheap (Sony m-10).  All I'm looking for is great mic input sound (clean, clear and minimum 24/48 capability). Don't care about any other bells or whistles just solid and input components, 24 bit capable, and external storage options).

I know these are a lot of questions but any sport in any of these areas is much appreciated! I would like to go to sleep grab something in time for sasquatch :)

Thank you much!

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 07:15:54 AM »
Currently Run AT853 and have read that often times the next logical step is the DPA 4061 or 4062.  That being said, I mainly tape loud rock and hip hop/rap. LOts of clubs and an occasional arena. Given that there's a good chance I'll be fairly close to the stage, would 4061 handle the spl or is the 4062 suggested? Feedback and other suggestions on this would be appreciated :)

The only set of HEB/4062s that we've recommended and sold to a customer was for someone recording jet engines on aircraft carriers at close range. If you're recording loud rock concerts, we strongly recommend the 4061s.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
Another application I heard about was recording engine noise under the hood of race cars.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com