Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: thoughts or experiences with microphone madness mics?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
thoughts or experiences with microphone madness mics?
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:21:16 PM »
Putting together a low pro rig...dont want to spend too much...I just dont want a bunch of boominess or on the other hand zero bass response. Open to recommendations.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: thoughts or experiences with microphone madness mics?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »
No personal experience...but rarely if ever see a show with them in the lineage.

backwhereubelong

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:29:11 AM »
If in your shoes, I would grab a set of Naiant XX Omni's.  These are very well built, sounds GREAT and priced at only $56 - you can add clips and windscreens for only $28 more (recommended).  Plug these babies into your recorders mic-in and have at it.  Later on, pick up a PIPSqueek (also by Naiant) battery box and you'll have a damn nice (stealthy) setup for a very low price.

http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/microphones/x-x-omnidirectional-lapel-condenser-microphone/

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:40:52 AM »
I used a set of the cards from 2005 - 2007 and was always happy with the recordings I made.

Offline waltmon

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
Those Naiants look sweet...Ive only done recordings with Omni's a couple times, and the mics were on stage.  Do I need to be pretty close to the source to be running these?

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
Putting together a low pro rig...dont want to spend too much...I just dont want a bunch of boominess or on the other hand zero bass response. Open to recommendations.

Omnis can be (EDIT) bassy if you're up close (or if a show is bass-heavy) while cards can be thin.   I'd considered the MM-HLSC's back in the day but didn't bother because, IMHO, they're very weak on bass response.    There are a lot of options out there so low-pro can also include Schoeps, AKG, MBHO with active cables and a TinyBox or you go with smaller setups that terminate at 1/8" (Church Audio, Sound Professionals, Naiant, etc.).   

I don't like to say go with "X" because it all depends on what your ears like (and the what the venues you're in sound like).   
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:31:48 PM by adrianf »

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
I'd vote the naiant xx, I absolutely love them. For stealthing omni is always better because you have a little more wiggle room
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »

Omnis can be boomy if you're up close (or if a show is bass-heavy) while cards can be thin.

I think this should actually be bassy, not boomy, when up close. When stealthing with omni's, it's often beneficial to stack tape and get as close as possible to the sound source to reduce both crowd noise and reverberations (boominess). If you need less bass, you simply reduce those frequencies in post or use a low-cut filter while recording. The further back you are in the venue, the boomier and more reverberant it will sound.

Offline waltmon

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »
Agreed...my only Omni use has been close proximity to source and was super clear.  I will say my buddy ran DPA Omni's split 3 feet front row of the taper section several nights of Phish this summer and sounded bad ass.

I'm going with CA-14's probably add those Niaiant Omni's later on

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:17:33 PM »
I'd considered the MM-HLSC's back in the day but didn't bother because, IMHO, they're very weak on bass response.   

Pretty bitchin' bass on this http://www.mediafire.com/listen/lz7rn3qxd1lkkon/HLSC1.mp3  ;)

adrianf74

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 05:25:36 PM »
I'd considered the MM-HLSC's back in the day but didn't bother because, IMHO, they're very weak on bass response.   

Pretty bitchin' bass on this http://www.mediafire.com/listen/lz7rn3qxd1lkkon/HLSC1.mp3  ;)

There will always be exceptions but most of the HLSC pulls I've heard have sounded "thin."

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
Just get a Tinybox or an Aerco and run the 150's with it 8)
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline yltfan

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
Not interested in some AT 853's?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
I have had a pair of Microphone Madness small omnis for years now (MM-HLSO). They sound great and are well put together, with nice cables and connector and very small Sennheiser caps. They are my micro set-up, with plug-in power to an Oade PMD-620 (~ 5 V) or small battery box/M10. I have gotten truly excellent customer service from them too, including free FedEx next-day to Europe to replace an incorrectly shipped pair of clips...Not sure if this helps, but I found the company to be on the up-and-up.

Offline waltmon

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »
Eventually I will go low pro with the Neumanns...I just want to polish my game for a while first  8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com