Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shock mount for under your T-bar...  (Read 7878 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Shock mount for under your T-bar...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 07:04:11 AM »
And on John's Rycote suggestion, would a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter work, so you can attach a standard female 3/8" thread? I am assuming there are such things?

Regards, Christine

I don't understand the question about a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor???

The Rycote comes as standard with a female 3/8" standard thread - 1/4" doesn't come into it at all.

I think Rycote supplies a 3/8" to 5.8" adaptor as standard so you can fit it to stands with that horrible US thread (horrible because the 5/8" thread is so fine that it's easy to stick and bind).

Offline connloyalist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
I don't understand the question about a 1/4" to 3/8" adaptor???

The Rycote comes as standard with a female 3/8" standard thread - 1/4" doesn't come into it at all.

I think Rycote supplies a 3/8" to 5.8" adaptor as standard so you can fit it to stands with that horrible US thread (horrible because the 5/8" thread is so fine that it's easy to stick and bind).

I might be misunderstanding Rycote's specs, but as I read it they are saying:

"Male thread: 1/4" Whitworth
Female thread (brass): 3/8" UNC"

In other words, I am assuming that the male screw on top of the Rycote is 1/4" and the bottom/female is 3/8". So it will certainly fit on top of a standard stand with a 3/8" male thread, but the T-bar that needs to fit onto the Rycote has a 3/8" female thread, while the Rycote apparently has a 1/4" male thread. Hence my question about fitting a bar onto it with a 3/8" female attachment. :)

My DR-100mkii has a female 1/4" thread on the bottom, and since this Rycote is designed to fit a recorder like that on top of, for example, a boom pole, it makes sense that the male screw on top of the Rycote is 1/4".

Regards, Christine

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
That's correct Christine.  It's a 1/4"-20 male thread on top, the camera-mount standard which recorders have adopted as well.

And yes female 1/4" to male 3/8" adapters exists, will fit and should work.  The adapter will lift the attachment point by the height of the adapter, so the red rubberized upper surface of the Rycote PRS will no longer contact whatever you screw the adapter into.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »

"Male thread: 1/4" Whitworth
Female thread (brass): 3/8" UNC"

Whitworth and UNC are two different standards and for the most part, are not compatable. When I worked in an auto shop I hated seeing British cars come in as they were the only time I encountered Whitworth threading as all my tools were not a good match. Some could be used but they weren't a proper fit. See Wikipedia's British Standard Whitworth page and the "see also" section for more specifics of other thread standards.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »
Correct.

However, UNC 1/4-20 is compatible with 1/4" Whitworth in this case.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
I'm curious myself.  I'm half considering getting a pair as well. I'm trying the INV recorder shock under my multi Tbar tonite...I'll post a pic
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline waltmon

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 12:28:06 PM »
This is the new mount with the 12" followingbob bar attached with the 2 Neumann mic clips.

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
This is the new mount with the 12" followingbob bar attached with the 2 Neumann mic clips.

That's nice!!
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline waltmon

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
It works nicely. It's actually supposed to be heavy duty enough to support a portable recorder with built in mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com