Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shotgun mics  (Read 9091 times)

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shotgun mics
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 07:12:31 PM »
Thats exactly what I was planning on doing.  Either ADK Omni or maybe borrow another 480 body and put the omni on that.  Or maybe both and record MonoX4 with the R4 and see what I like best. :-}

:coolguy:  Can't wait to hear some results then when you get a chance to start playing with them.

I just received my 2nd c568eb after buying two separately on ebay.  I can't wait to give 'em a try, especially since I fell in love with the 568s back in the mid-90s when I started taping and had access to a pair owned by a friend/taper-mentor.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »
For recording music off a PA system from a distance, I think the few best shotguns go in roughly this order (personal preference, of course).  They are all 'short' shotguns.

1. AKG 568s
2. AKG ck8s + 460 or 45x bodies
3. Neumann KMR81

depends on the situation ,
the neumanare quit ok  they ara  wide pick up
, better sounding then akgs  at least for my ears

if you need more  side rejection there is nothing as sanken cs-3

if you like be more like schoeps n-there is a schoeps shotgun
for long shotguns there is nothing like mkh-70
of course this is my preference :-)

oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »
I use the KMR81 as a center piece to my CMXY4V.

Is this for live music?  Have any samples?  Hmmmmm...shotgun(s) + 2-ch of a nice, open config on my R-4...   :hmmm:

Wayne - did you run multi-ch for the music recording?  Any feedback on how the guns sounded mixed with your other mics?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »
Thats exactly what I was planning on doing.  Either ADK Omni or maybe borrow another 480 body and put the omni on that.  Or maybe both and record MonoX4 with the R4 and see what I like best. :-}

:coolguy:  Can't wait to hear some results then when you get a chance to start playing with them.

I just received my 2nd c568eb after buying two separately on ebay.  I can't wait to give 'em a try, especially since I fell in love with the 568s back in the mid-90s when I started taping and had access to a pair owned by a friend/taper-mentor.

I'll be back in the market for a set of 568's this year.  They are fantastic guns.  Low sensitivity, 11 mv, you can feed them to any Pre w/o attenuation.  I ran a pair a few years ago.  Loved them!   :) 

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 10:12:55 PM »
Wayne - did you run multi-ch for the music recording?  Any feedback on how the guns sounded mixed with your other mics?

I did run them with other mics. When I mixed them, I mixed them way down and to be honest, I'm not sure they added a whole lot when mixed.  I just got done doing four days of run & gun shooting at SXSW and for the 90% of the shoots we were doing interviews. I used the Neumann and it worked great. However, we also did some live band shots for a few things and those sucked sound-wise. The problem is the gun sounds great for certain situations, but live music is not one of them. ;)

That's why I don't think mixing them into the multi-channel recordings did much to the sound, because they did alter the sound of the recording to where I had to make them more transparent in the mix, so I turned them down.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 11:24:33 PM »
They just sound odd, and not as natural as cardioids or even hypers for that matter, at least to my ears.

Long guns, in particular sound this way. The Rode NTG-1 sounded much better. It had a certain cardiod quality to it. Not as smooth or natural sounding as a card, but certainly more so than the Neumann 82i does. But that's comparing long guns and short guns and as Oleg has pointed out the long guns like the Sanken cs-3 and Neumann 82i are really designed to try and isolate things. It is amazing how isolated things can be. Not being  a boom man, it took me a while to get the hang of doing it to figure out where to put the mic for the interviews, so I could roll the mic from side to side to get the interviewer in the mic. It is actually a much tougher job than most people would think.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 08:52:21 AM »
> Long guns, in particular sound this way. [ ... ]
> But that's comparing long guns and short guns [ ... ]

The extra directivity of shotgun mikes occurs only at high-mid and high frequencies; most are approximately supercardioid until somewhere above 1 - 2 kHz. The interference tube creates a complex response pattern at these higher frequencies. For sound that is directly on axis, you'll get the manufacturer's printed frequency response curve, which may be just fine. But (say) 35 or 40 degrees off axis all bets are off, particularly with longer shotguns. The angle of sound incidence becomes quite critical. Shotguns still pick up sound from off-axis, and the upper midrange / high frequency character of that sound is often quite poor.

Thus you must always keep all significant sound sources strictly on axis. For dialog recording in the hands of an experienced boom operator, this can be manageable. But it really does take experience and constant babysitting--almost no one gets good results on their first few attempts. A good supercardioid is still preferable sonically, if you can get the microphone a little closer in.

Indoor music recording is a worst-case situation for shotgun microphones. The sound sources are typically wider than the main lobe of the microphone, so you get more of the "random-incidence" frequency response of the microphone rather than its (published) 0-degree response. With most shotguns, that's not pretty. It's much more "not pretty" for long shotguns than for short shotguns, and there are differences in quality among the different brands and types; not all shotguns of a given length are alike. But a good supercardioid will sound more natural than any of them, particularly if you're recording far from the sound source in a reverberant space.

Basically I'm saying, don't think of a shotgun microphone as "reaching farther"--it doesn't. "Reach" is a metaphor with limited usefulness and huge potential for giving the wrong impression in a case like this. Think instead about how (from what directions) the majority of the sound will arrive at the mike. The more off-axis sound you have, the more you need a microphone with good random incidence response. Look at the polar response diagrams and choose a microphone whose off-axis response is as similar as possible to its on-axis response at all frequencies.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 03:01:36 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 03:02:16 AM »

You can always use my 460 bodies if you'd like.  I'm thinking that 480's with the shotties & the 462s split -> Busman R4 would be quite sweet!  :yahoo:

We'll have to try that out at McDowell Mtn.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 03:46:08 PM »

You can always use my 460 bodies if you'd like.  I'm thinking that 480's with the shotties & the 462s split -> Busman R4 would be quite sweet!  :yahoo:

Sounds like a plan.... It's probably going to be the only time I get to use the guns.  Going back for surgery again the first week of may.  Depending on how insurance works out I am probably going to EBay them and see what I can get.  I'll probably auction off my TLs also.  I can always pick up another pair once everything gets paid off..

BTW... Have the guns sitting here.  They look pretty wicked mounted to the A61 swivels with the bodies vertical.  May have to put up a picture.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »

Sounds like a plan.... It's probably going to be the only time I get to use the guns.  Going back for surgery again the first week of may.  Depending on how insurance works out I am probably going to EBay them and see what I can get.  I'll probably auction off my TLs also.  I can always pick up another pair once everything gets paid off..

BTW... Have the guns sitting here.  They look pretty wicked mounted to the A61 swivels with the bodies vertical.  May have to put up a picture.

Nice!  Didn't know they could be mounted on the a61's. Pretty sweet!

More surgery?  :-\ I'm sorry to hear that, but hopefully everything will work out.
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 01:38:36 AM »

More surgery?  :-\ I'm sorry to hear that, but hopefully everything will work out.

It was a bit awkward setting everything up... The 489s were so long and top heavy that my Sabra mounts were not holding them very straight.  I tried the a61s with the SSMs holding the body vertical and then the Sabra set up to hold the 69s.  Might be best to mount the guns with actual clamps instead of shockmounts.  Still trying to figure out the best way.

The Surgery is really minor and they are just cleaning out some things that they missed around XMas.  Totally out patient (but still expensive as hell.)  I think I'll even get a few weeks of short term disability from my insurance along with some good meds.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice avatar by the way.  Where can I find one of those? ;-}
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:47:55 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 04:48:46 AM »

It was a bit awkward setting everything up... The 489s were so long and top heavy that my Sabra mounts were not holding them very straight.  I tried the a61s with the SSMs holding the body vertical and then the Sabra set up to hold the 69s.  Might be best to mount the guns with actual clamps instead of shockmounts.  Still trying to figure out the best way.

The Surgery is really minor and they are just cleaning out some things that they missed around XMas.  Totally out patient (but still expensive as hell.)  I think I'll even get a few weeks of short term disability from my insurance along with some good meds.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nice avatar by the way.  Where can I find one of those? ;-}
Well that is good news about the surgery!  +T

And by the way, gracias for the avi, snipped it right off the home page!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:51:20 AM by jbanyai97 »
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Roving Sign

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 08:00:15 AM »
I like guns for a few situations...

1 - Odd PA setup - Last summer I went to an outdoor gig - nice venue, but the PA was too small for the venue and the speakers were too far apart. The bluegrass opener sounded ok - but I could tell, once you put an electric band up there, it was going to get mushy.

Getting too close meant I would be way out of the speakers dispersion pattern.

So - I sat a little deeper in the venue than I otherwise might have.

Very nice results - (these are my JVC shotgun caps on my TEAC ME-120 bodies - a little shorter than a nak cp-4)

http://www.mercersburg.com/joebonson2006-08-0504b.mp3 (warning: country music content!!)

2 - Blown PA speaker - I was at a gig once and the one of the PA stacks had a bad driver and was clicking a bit - I ran a bunch of different mics this day - but noticed that the offending sound was much less offensive with the shotguns - as if I had aimed it away from the speaker that was breaking up...

Guns do color the sound - and there seems to be this hit or miss element. Sometimes they can impart a very musical quality - sometimes...not.

(these are my guns)
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,60371.0.html
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 08:08:36 AM by Roving Sign »

Roving Sign

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 08:04:35 AM »
One question...should one be concerned about the position of the vent relative to each other...

Guns are basically a long tube mounted over a capsule, with a slit/vent in the tube...it would seem we should be positioning the slit symetrical with our other mic...

(for clarity - Im not talking about the screens on the side of the mic - this slit is on the actual tube in the casing - you might have to use a flashlight to see it...

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 02:26:58 AM »
I use the KMR81 as a center piece to my CMXY4V.

Is this for live music?  Have any samples?  Hmmmmm...shotgun(s) + 2-ch of a nice, open config on my R-4...   :hmmm:

here are a couple of torrents of live music with neumann shotgun and schoeps stereo 4v.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=506093

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=505360

I love the neumann shotgun so much I am saving up for the second one so I can run neumann A/B and Schoeps XY.

:)

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com