Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's a good iPod replacement?  (Read 6760 times)

Offline kellye226

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Trading Page
Re: What's a good iPod replacement?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »
oh man. I dont know if a re-format will work. I just tried to turn it on again and you can hear and feel it grunting and scraping inside - really bad, loud noise. And if I shake it - somethings rattling inside!? I didn't drop it. No more file picture flashing, it was an apple - now the screen flickers and it just dies.  :'(  RIP. The little rio karma looks pretty cool but I'm drawn to the Creative Zen things.  But the Rio karma's are super cheap on ebay. I need something fast though - I can't be without music!

Thanks for the suggestions!

what you described happened twice to my 40gb that i have had since 12.04. The 1st time I sent it back and apple sent me a new one. 6 weeks later the same thing happened and i sent that one back and they fixed it and sent it back. took about a week to 10 days to get it back. the 1st time cost me $30 - they send you a box to ship in and all, the 2nd time nothing. been working now for about 2 months this time, knock on wood.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

http://db.etree.org/kellye226

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 01:27:09 PM »
I'm real happy with my Cowon iAudio M3.  Their M5 and X5 also look neat, but I really couldn't care less about the video stuff.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 01:30:21 PM »
If you're willing to buy used, try tracking down a iRiver H120 or H140. 

Avoid the rio Karma, no service of any kind if it breaks since SigmaTel bought out Rio and dissolved that brand name.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline cpatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 01:36:04 PM »
I've owned a variety of MP3 players but the iPod is still the only one I use on a regular basis. The power and simplicity of the interface, ease of use and intuitiveness of the controls, and transparency of getting media onto it in the first place far outweighs any shortcomings. I've also been extremely impressed with Apple's service when I've had problems. (The local Apple Store has handed me a replacement iPod on the spot, no questoins asked. Try that with any other manufacturer.)

I have no particular brand loyalty though; as soon as somebody figures out a way to design something that improves on these I'll be all over it  ;)

If you're looking for something that can record, however, then it's a whole different story...

Craig
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 05:42:34 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »

Avoid the rio Karma, no service of any kind if it breaks since SigmaTel bought out Rio and dissolved that brand name.

Agreed 100%

You can get a refurb Iriver h120 on ebay for 189.99. Update it with the rockbox firmware, and you have a really nice player/recorder with true gapless playback and a digi-out....

I think it is limited to 1644 as its highest resolution, but it puts those ipods to shame.....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Stop it.
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »

Agreed 100%

You can get a refurb Iriver h120 on ebay for 189.99. Update it with the rockbox firmware, and you have a really nice player/recorder with true gapless playback and a digi-out....

I think it is limited to 1644 as its highest resolution, but it puts those ipods to shame.....

Well I got one of these Iriver h120 thingies off ebay. Used for a couple months it says, $145 or so. Comes w/ remote and everything originally included and most still in original packaging. guy says he bought it for his GF and she didnt really want it. Well I'll take it! Thing is - all my music is in iTunes. How difficult will it be to get my tunes into this thing?
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 06:14:12 PM »
I'm real happy with my Cowon iAudio M3.  Their M5 and X5 also look neat, but I really couldn't care less about the video stuff.

Another vote for Cowon products -- my 40gb iAudio M3 continues to amaze me . . . .

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »
I'm bumping this old thread instead of starting a new one.

I want to get something on which I can play 24/96 flacs and mp3s using the rockbox firmware.  Having never paid attention, I'm now lost looking at irivers, ipods, edirols, etc.   I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive solution so I can stop burning CDs for the car.  use as a recorder would be nice but is far from necessary.

any recommendations?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:48:41 PM »
I've owned a variety of MP3 players but the iPod is still the only one I use on a regular basis. The power and simplicity of the interface, ease of use and intuitiveness of the controls, and transparency of getting media onto it in the first place far outweighs any shortcomings. I've also been extremely impressed with Apple's service when I've had problems. (The local Apple Store has handed me a replacement iPod on the spot, no questoins asked. Try that with any other manufacturer.)

I have no particular brand loyalty though; as soon as somebody figures out a way to design something that improves on these I'll be all over it  ;)

If you're looking for something that can record, however, then it's a whole different story...

Craig
QFT

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com