Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking about getting a turntable  (Read 4652 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Thinking about getting a turntable
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 07:14:28 PM »
BTW- Nick will be here any minute. We are listening to the sources we did from this last WSP run, maybe he will share his thoughts as well on the old analog vs. digital argument.

All I can say is do NOT listen to a turntable unless you plan on getting one, if you can live with the material available it will cause all your CD's to gather dust  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 07:21:59 PM »
thanks Carl - I know what you mean, "know it when you hear it"

what dac do you have now?

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 08:44:26 PM »
    I definitely think you get more bang for the buck with an entry level tt.  I had a pos fisher tt with a stanton 500 cart and it sounded a hell of a lot more fun to listen to for long sessions compared to my paltry digital rig in comparison (via headphones).
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 10:47:24 PM »
Hey Tim-

I have a Onkyo DV-SP1000 multi player as a transport & a Electrocompaniet EDC-1 for a DAC, read all about it here:
 http://www.electrocompaniet.no/products/digital/ecd1.html

It's the best DAC I have ever heard, very nice, smooth, as analog like as you can get with an upsampling convertor. I think upsample convertors are a little more "digital" sounding vs. non upsample but this convertor has multiple inputs of every kind which is impotant to me & also has smooth refined sound.

I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 03:02:31 AM »
thanks carl - much appreciated :)

I guess I need to hear a good analog rig sometime soon
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »
Tim,

Someday soon you need to visit my place, near City Park area.  Although I've the TT upgrade bug once again, my mod-Thorens TD150 through my YPH phono stage sounds pretty darn good.  But beware, the TT route is for complete audio JUNKIES.....I need to find some rehab for this addiction sooner than later. 

Also, FWIW, the BIX, Bluenote Piccolo and Clearaudio Emotion all look VERY interesting tables, esp at their price points.

GO CARDS!

C Evans
LSD2>mod UA5>Darrin's non-reliable PDA (or my non-reliable D8)

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:32:33 PM »
Tim,

Someday soon you need to visit my place, near City Park area.  Although I've the TT upgrade bug once again, my mod-Thorens TD150 through my YPH phono stage sounds pretty darn good.  But beware, the TT route is for complete audio JUNKIES.....I need to find some rehab for this addiction sooner than later. 

Also, FWIW, the BIX, Bluenote Piccolo and Clearaudio Emotion all look VERY interesting tables, esp at their price points.

GO CARDS!

C Evans

Yes please! I'd love that Chris

we're not too far from each other - I'm downtown

GO CARDINALS!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com