Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable mp3 player advice needed.  (Read 7113 times)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Portable mp3 player advice needed.
« on: November 19, 2006, 05:35:38 PM »
So I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting an mp3 player. Besides the iPod, what other options are available?

Any players out there handling FLAC yet?

I'm still in the research stage and want to be as informed as possible so I can make a decision I won't regret. Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Portable mp3 player advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »
There's the new Microsoft Zune, though all reviews I've seen have been pretty bad.

The Rio Karma series are nice, and will play FLAC, so that's an option. Ive also heard a lot of good things about Samsung's players.

I'd still recommend an iPod to anyone, as there's numerous reasons why they're far and away the biggest selling of them all.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline jef-o

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:00:17 PM »
i like my creative zen xtra.  30 gigs of music storing goodness for a lot less than an ipod.  also, i'm hearing good things about the new creative video/audio units.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:32:59 AM »
Thanks to the advice of others here, I love my iAudio M3.  Latest and greatest in the iAudio line is the M5 (audio only) or X5 (audio & video).  Both support FLAC playback, but dunno about gapless.

FWIW, I find I don't need absolute best quality source files in my portable playback, i.e. original FLACs.  There are already plenty of compromises in my portable listening - the headphone amp on nearly every portable playback device (within a reasonable price range, anyway), the earphones I use (Etymotic ER-6), the environments in which I listen (on the plane, train, etc.) - that prevent me from experiencing and enjoying the full fidelity of the original FLAC source.  So I've found a high bit-rate MP3 or OGG file works just as well to my ears.  While not my intent behind going with high bit-rate lossy derivatives, the side effect, of course, is that I can also fit more music on my portable player.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 11:37:46 AM »
I bought a Rio Karma a couple years ago (because it plays FLAC) and have since replaced it with a 60gb iPod.  Even though it does not play FLACs (although it actually can with RockBox or something like that) I love my iPod.  If for nothing else its size vs. the Karma.  The Rio is this fat little chunk that was not comfortable to carry anywhere.  My iPod is slim and sexy and fits conveniently wherever I put it.  If you want better than mp3 sounding stuff the iPod can handle wav files and Apple Lossless.  I take my live FLACs and convert them to wav and load them to listen to in the car and what not and then just delete them and burn the FLACs to dic for archiving.

Shane

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 02:34:46 AM »
you can install rockbox on any ipod and it will play flac no problem.

at this point in the game, i'd buy an ipod over anything else out there.  it has more accessories than any other mp3 player on the market and tons of 3rd party manufacturers developing stuff for it.  one of the coolest features i discovered recently...you can hook up an ipod to just about any car stereo that has a cd changer and control it through the radio itself.  plus there's tons of support out there for them on the net.  you don't have to use itunes, in fact, i have never used itunes.  and it looks nice, not all plastic-y and cheap looking like a lot of other mp3 players.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:32:51 AM »
I bought a Rio Karma a couple years ago (because it plays FLAC) and have since replaced it with a 60gb iPod.  Even though it does not play FLACs (although it actually can with RockBox or something like that) I love my iPod.  If for nothing else its size vs. the Karma.  The Rio is this fat little chunk that was not comfortable to carry anywhere.  My iPod is slim and sexy and fits conveniently wherever I put it.  If you want better than mp3 sounding stuff the iPod can handle wav files and Apple Lossless.  I take my live FLACs and convert them to wav and load them to listen to in the car and what not and then just delete them and burn the FLACs to dic for archiving.

Shane

same here.   i still have my karma (3rd one after the first 2 died under warranty)   it has survived being chewed up by the dog and it still works.  i got a 60gb ipod about a year ago just based on space alone.     i really like it.   i like being able to have pictures on it too.    one thing I really liked about the rio was it has a docking station that i could just plug into my router and access from any computer on our network.

Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:10:49 AM »
The Rio Karma series are nice, and will play FLAC, so that's an option. Ive also heard a lot of good things about Samsung's players.

mine died.  it was a refurb though.  ONly lasted about 6-7 months, without being played constantly.  I liked it when I had it though.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 11:15:40 AM »
FWIW, I find I don't need absolute best quality source files in my portable playback, i.e. original FLACs.  \

my only reason for wanting flac playback was so that I didn't ahve to convert flacs to mp3/wav before putting them on the mp3 player.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »
my only reason for wanting flac playback was so that I didn't ahve to convert flacs to mp3/wav before putting them on the mp3 player.

QFT

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 09:01:11 PM »

FWIW, I find I don't need absolute best quality source files in my portable playback, i.e. original FLACs.  There are already plenty of compromises in my portable listening - the headphone amp on nearly every portable playback device (within a reasonable price range, anyway), the earphones I use (Etymotic ER-6), the environments in which I listen (on the plane, train, etc.) - that prevent me from experiencing and enjoying the full fidelity of the original FLAC source.  So I've found a high bit-rate MP3 or OGG file works just as well to my ears.  While not my intent behind going with high bit-rate lossy derivatives, the side effect, of course, is that I can also fit more music on my portable player.

couldnt agree more with this. mp3 players should not be considered high fidelity, imo.

yeah its a drag converting from flac to mp3. get dbpoweramp and the right plug-ins, and it will do it for you in a single step.

i think the jb3 is a decent mp3 player with better than average headphone outs, and more importantly line out but its size isnt so convenient. doesnt it also play 24bit waves?

but if i were you i would get the ipod. aac sounds better than mp3 to me, and because the ipod is just better. you will thank yourself later. sometimes its better to be a sheep than a trendsetter.  :P

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 09:10:26 PM »
get a psp

flac, wav, mp3, ogg (16/44.1)

full screen video (WAY better than ipod video)

you can have pics on it

oh, and it plays games :D

it sucks to run with, but i dont like to exercise with that sh*t in my ears...

macdaddy quicky ducks, and dons his flameproof suit
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 09:17:09 PM »
that 8g ipod is pretty nice. no h/d. they claim 24 hours of playback on a charge. so subtract 7 hours to be real. still...
db

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 11:02:56 AM »
I would recommend an iriver H120 or H140.  Rockbox, opt in/out, line in/out.  Can't beat that.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:16:51 PM »
Hey dose any one know if one of the mp3 players out there can be Rockboxs or not to play 24/96bit audio yet.
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
Get the I Audio X5.  Costs less than an I pod, plays flac's, has a radio, you can record from the radio, has an internal mic, comes with a usb port so you can put images from your digital camera onto it, they sell a 60gb so there is plenty of space, the battery lasts longer than an I pod, plays movies, holds photo, and comes with a sub pack so you don't pay extra for a line out.  One of my favorite parts is that it acts like an external hard drive.  You can just plug it into any computer and start transferring files no drivers needed.  So you can use this on as many computers at you want and trade files when you go visit friends.  I am not sure why more people aren't buying these devices.  It comes with all kinds of features that are extras on an ipod and it’s the same size.  It is not at sexy as the pod but it was exactly what I was looking for.  If you are looking to spend less they also sell a 20 and 30 gig.   
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 01:22:30 PM »
does anyone know the current largest capacity mp3 player available that also runs on user-replaceable batteries?  AA or AAA rechargeables would be great, but any device with a rechargeable lithium is fine too, as long as it's replaceable.

in case i didn't word that properly:  what i don't want is a unit with an embedded rechargeable lithium.  when the battery goes, the device is as good as disposable.  the creative zen vision W, vision M are such units.  love them otherwise, but i despise planned obsolescence!

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »
does anyone know the current largest capacity mp3 player available that also runs on user-replaceable batteries?  AA or AAA rechargeables would be great, but any device with a rechargeable lithium is fine too, as long as it's replaceable.

in case i didn't word that properly:  what i don't want is a unit with an embedded rechargeable lithium.  when the battery goes, the device is as good as disposable.  the creative zen vision W, vision M are such units.  love them otherwise, but i despise planned obsolescence!

I have an 80GB ipod and while the battery isnt "replaceable" in terms of droping the old cell out and putting a new one in, it is pretty easy to change a battery in an ipod.  I've changed out one or two and usually only takes a few min.

Hopefully apple will come out with a 120gb version soon, im running out of space.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 02:15:35 PM »
I read yesterday that new Ipods are coming out in the fall, 12 and 16gb nano's and touch screen videos.  I don't know about a 120gb version tho.

Peter, no idea on a player with removable batteries, I have seen things that dock on ipods tho that offer up 80+ hours of music.  *shrug*  I'm sorry to say that I've kind of turned into a ipod fanboy.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 12:23:12 AM »
the touch screen will be cool, like the iphones.  my next ipod will have to be at least 50% largerfor me to drop another$350 on it.  last year i paid $400 for a 60gb and then about 4 months later i paid $350 for my 80gb (and gave the 60 to my brother in iraq).  maybe the 120gb version will only be $300 :)
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 10:17:17 PM »
The iPods are quite flexible... you do have some encoding things to worry about but I've begun tagging my flacs and creating a V0 fileset on my Archive DVD's before things get removed from a drive.  If SQ is an issue you can always use apple lossless. The thing I'm enjoying is a true line output via a modified Dock cable to the Headphone Amp of your choice... really a step up in quality.

I can always use my CX-300's straight out of the device for using at the Gym.
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
last year i paid $400 for a 60gb and then about 4 months later i paid $350 for my 80gb (and gave the 60 to my brother in iraq). 

do you want +t's or -t's?  Sweet move dude, for real.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 04:42:21 PM »
last year i paid $400 for a 60gb and then about 4 months later i paid $350 for my 80gb (and gave the 60 to my brother in iraq). 

do you want +t's or -t's?  Sweet move dude, for real.

meh, it doesnt matter.  youll have to ask my trolls, apparently they know best.

my poor brother gets stuck with guard duty a few times a week and im sure the ipod helps pass the time.  plus its a cool way for us to send him videos and keep him up to date on family events and such.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com