Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: hissing in speakers. [Now what new reciever and speakers to buy!]  (Read 3193 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
I don't have a great setup. The reciever I have is a Sony STR-DE135. I have had it for over 12 years. I use some not so fancy KLH speakers I got for free from Best Buy when I bought the reciever and I have always had this hissing sound in both channels. I don't know what its from but it just annoys the hell out of me whenever I am listening to music or on the computer. Its hooked up to my computer through my M-Audio 2496. anyways I hope someone can give me some insight to what the problem might be. I don't know if its even worth it to get new speaker cables?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:19:40 PM by RyanJ »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: hissing in speakers.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:26:49 AM »
I don't have a great setup. The reciever I have is a Sony STR-DE135. I have had it for over 12 years. I use some not so fancy KLH speakers I got for free from Best Buy when I bought the reciever and I have always had this hissing sound in both channels. I don't know what its from but it just annoys the hell out of me whenever I am listening to music or on the computer. Its hooked up to my computer through my M-Audio 2496. anyways I hope someone can give me some insight to what the problem might be. I don't know if its even worth it to get new speaker cables?

It sounds like a gain structure issue. If your sound card volume our output control is set low and your stereo amp is set to a higher level your will amplify all of the noise from your sound card to your receiver. I would suggest running the output high from your sound card and attenuating it at your receiver by turning down the volume. Conversely you might find that there is less noise running your receiver hot and your sound card less hot or colder. Then there could also be an issue with a unused input making noise that happens to be connected to your sound cards output buss. Check your settings in the mixer output section for your sound card. The 2496 Should be pretty quiet. I would suspect its the first issue I talked about.
Let me know if any of this helps.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:44:37 AM »
Are you running digi-out from the sound card to the receiver?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »
So I unhooked this from my computer and put it with my CD/Record player and it still has hissing out of the speakers?

I am running this:

CD Player (RCA Jacks)-> Sony Reciever -> Speaker cables -> to KLH Speakers.

still have a very loud hiss. I think something is bad. and the speaker cables are hooked up properly. + to + and - to -.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 12:02:14 AM »
your hiss is probably "dirty ac power". you could unplug everything but the speakers and still get hiss i bet. what you need is a power conditioner.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:44:16 AM »
So I unhooked this from my computer and put it with my CD/Record player and it still has hissing out of the speakers?

I am running this:

CD Player (RCA Jacks)-> Sony Reciever -> Speaker cables -> to KLH Speakers.

still have a very loud hiss. I think something is bad. and the speaker cables are hooked up properly. + to + and - to -.
Try the headphone jack and listen to the cd player its not dirty ac that will not cause hiss in your cd player it will however cause a hum but not a hiss..... I would make sure everything is unplugged accept the cd player and make sure your tape monitor is turned off if you have that option if you have a level control on your cd player make sure its at least half way up in level. Also what impedance are you speakers? you might want to read some of these reviews several people mention a hiss with this receiver....

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/sony/receivers/str-de135/PRD_124205_1593crx.aspx#review0

Let me know what you find.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:50:28 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:07 AM »
Try using the SPDIF from your CD to receiver.

Also, I've never had any luck with soundcard>receiver.  I always got computer artifacts and couldn't ever get my PC output correct with the receiver input... 

And I'd hate to say it, but it sounds like time for a receiver upgrade!  I've been looking for an inexpensive receiver for a while and thought the Outlaw stuff looked good.

If you look to upgrade, try Audiogon's Zip Code search for anything close to you.  You can also try Craigs List.  I've had some luck there and you can go over and test it out before you buy. YMMV...

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.pl?0&1&form
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/923345221.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/919955005.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/914270195.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/920060499.html  (WOW!)
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/913389162.html  (HOLY CRAP GO BUY THIS NOW!!)

Terry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:26:53 AM by <<<ANONYMOUS USER>>> »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Depechemode1993

Re: hissing in speakers. [Now what new reciever and speakers to buy!]
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:37 PM »
Well reading the other reviews about the hissing you know its a problem with this reciever.

Those amps look really nice and I really do appreciate you helping me out! +T x100! But I can use that as a replacement to a reciever? (I am not the smartest person with audio). And now I guess I need to get new speakers too... When I lived in the dorms here I let my friend borrow my reciever, speakers and 300 disc CD changer. Lets just say he liked hip-hop/rap and played it loud. So... my speakers have been blown as well. So what are the suggestions? I am looking so spend under $700. :)

Depechemode1993

Re: hissing in speakers. [Now what new reciever and speakers to buy!]
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »
I got a new receiver and I am so happy to get it! The sound is so much better through my speakers!

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:30:01 AM »
I like to use the cheapest Uninterruptible Power Supplies from Microcenter.  It's a glorified surge protector with a battery, but they do a good job of cleaning up A/C power quite a bit for $30-40 each.

your hiss is probably "dirty ac power". you could unplug everything but the speakers and still get hiss i bet. what you need is a power conditioner.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com