Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezebox/Digital Network Players?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Squeezebox/Digital Network Players?
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:36:38 PM »
What do these things do that I can't do by plugging the optical out from my sound card (24 bit) to the optical input on my DAC?  What else does the Squeezebox do that makes it preferable to connecting the computer to the DAC?
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Squeezebox/Digital Network Players?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:53:01 PM »
Remote control and a good user interface.
The ability to locate hifi a great distance from your pc.
Sync multiple SB's together.
The analog out on the sb3 is very good and can be run directly into some amps.

It does not do 24/96 at this time, only up to 24/48.

Try using the server software and the softsqueeze with your current library.  Softsqueeze emulates the sb using your soundcard.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
There's been a couple of threads on the Squeezebox...do a search
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 09:30:17 AM »
A LOT is my answer.  Honestly, the best part about the thing is that it eliminated a 30 ft digital cable run from my computer to my living rom.  No support for 24/96 is the only drawback.  Plus, I would bet money that it sounds better than your sound card, though a little dry in stock form.

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 10:36:04 AM »
A LOT is my answer.  Honestly, the best part about the thing is that it eliminated a 30 ft digital cable run from my computer to my living rom.  No support for 24/96 is the only drawback.  Plus, I would bet money that it sounds better than your sound card, though a little dry in stock form.

D~
I use a htpc in my living room and it works great, not as cheap as a SB yet it can also do movies from the file server.
And it does do 24/96 :)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 02:05:44 PM »
I have thought about going that route, but it appears dedicated media servers are on the way like the olive symphony etc.  HMM, bonus next month, hmmmmmmmm ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »
I have zero interest in any product that is not open.  Not interested in having it be obsolete in a few years or they won't fix bugs, being told what formats are supported, etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com