Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shock Mount for Neumann STH-100  (Read 1660 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Shock Mount for Neumann STH-100
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »
I am looking to put a neumann sth-100 in a shock mount.  I know that I can get a schoeps style shock and stick the sth-100 into it but I am looking for other options.  I found this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/273139-REG/Neumann_Z_26_MT_Inline_Microphone_Shock_Mount.html
and was thinking this could work.  Has anyone out there seen or used a neumann Z 26 mt?  I just got some 140's with the sth-100 and all the "markbars" to go along with it.  These bars seem very low profile and I would hate to put them in a big shock mount.  There is always the option of not using shock mounts; however, I think it would stress me out.  Any feedback would be great.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Mike Sarnovsky

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I love the 722!
Re: Shock Mount for Neumann STH-100
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
I'll try and post some pics but what I did was take a Nady SSM-5 shock mount and connect it directly to my mic stand.  I went to the hardware store and got a female to female plumbers fitting that I jammed into the shock mount... the insert that is used on the STH-100 screws directly into the female to female plumbers fitting.  It does feel secure to me, but obviously has some ghetto characteristics to it. 

That shock mount looks reasonable and I looked into it myself, but for about $15 grand total, I believe I was able to achieve the same thing. 
Mics:  Neumann SKM-140, Neumann SKM-184
Pres:  Lunatec V3, Sound Devices MP-2
A/D:  Oade Mod Sony SBM-1
Recorder:  Sound Devices 722, Nomad JB3

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
Ed:

I owned that mount before you bought it from Glenn.  Yes, I did use a Schoeps A20 style mount.  It was actually a Busman.  I thought it worked perfect with lots and lots of sound isolation, yet adequate support for the mics to keep them in position.

However, if you don't want to use this mount, the Shure donut would work great and would probably be a bit more supple.  The STH-100 diameter is just slightly smaller, but a couple of wraps of black electrical tape around the base of the STH-100 and you're good to go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68622-REG/Shure_A53M_A53M_Isolation_and_Swivel.html

Hope this helps.

Steve

EDIT TO ADD:  This is a slightly larger donut, but I think the smaller one is the one you'd want if you went this route.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68624-REG/Shure_A55M_A55M_Isolation_and_Swivel.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:21:13 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have a Meek and Busman mount that I can use for now.  Hoping I could find someone that has seen or used that neumann shock.       
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com