Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 5 pin din female connectors for schoeps CMT?  (Read 3574 times)

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
5 pin din female connectors for schoeps CMT?
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
Hey
Anybody have 5 pin locking female connectors? I need to make a new pare of mic cables for a pair of CMT44's.. Any help would be great .. Where to get or a sale of a pair..

The classic Schoeps site says that the pin outs are:

1= +Signal
2= GND
3= -Signal

I would assume the ground needs to be connected to the connector shell to eliminate hum .. Any schematics would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance for all and any help....

A;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:54:10 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 5 pin din female connectors for schoeps CMT?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
Why are you looking for 5-pin DIN connectors for this type of cable? The microphones have 3-pin Tuchel plugs. These are still being produced by Amphenol-Tuchel and are not too rare; many small German-made microphones, both consumer- and professional-oriented, used them for decades.

You're right that the ground pin needs to be connected both to the shield of the cable. I don't remember whether Tuchel connectors automatically make the additional connection to the connector shell or not; if they don't, that connection should also be made when you solder up your cable.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »
Why are you looking for 5-pin DIN connectors for this type of cable? The microphones have 3-pin Tuchel plugs. These are still being produced by Amphenol-Tuchel and are not too rare; many small German-made microphones, both consumer- and professional-oriented, used them for decades.

You're right that the ground pin needs to be connected both to the shield of the cable. I don't remember whether Tuchel connectors automatically make the additional connection to the connector shell or not; if they don't, that connection should also be made when you solder up your cable.

--best regards

The version of the mics  I have are purportedly  very rare as per some Schoeps collectors I know. These are not Tuchel pins they are round pins in a din set up 180deg. They were supposed to be made for the French Gov and Yugoslavian gov or something. Only 100 made. So in a perfect worlds they would be 3 pin din female connectors with  evenly spaced pin 1 and 3 180 deg ... Since this is hard to find I would settle for 5 pin din to make the mic cables. I salvaged the 5 pin din connectors on the cables I had and re built them.. Dan Told me that a collector might trade a newer CMC/MK set for these as tey made so few fro a collection. I would be up for that if someone offered as I would like to have some mics to go active cables with.... LOL Here are some pics...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:36:19 PM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:56:22 AM »
aegert, I think someone's been flim-flamming you. Your top photo shows an absolutely stock, ordinary 3-pin Tuchel T 3262 piug on the microphone.

XLR adapters for this type of connector are readily available--Markertek probably can sell you a pair of them ready-made at reasonable cost, or if you prefer, Schoeps and Neumann both offer them for a three-figure price! The mating cable connector is a current production item and is also available from various sources.

Small 3-pin Tuchel plugs were the normal configuration for dynamic and (transistorized) condenser microphones in German recording studios and broadcasting organizations for decades, until XLR connectors became universal during the 1980s. Neumann and AKG also used this connector for their domestic models, e.g. the Neumann KM 84 or KM 86 without the "i" suffix for "international," or the AKG C 451 without the "E" suffix for "export."

Schoeps did make some CMT-series microphones with special connectors for the ORTF (Radio France), but they used Sogie connectors which are nearly impossible to replace today since the only supplier has gone out of business. Their "M 221 F" tube microphones also used this connector (I used to have one of those). In addition, Schoeps has made microphones with large Lemo connectors for the ORF (Austrian radio/TV)--a connector type which defies categorization as either "male" or "female" (good for it, I say--twice as likely to find a date on a Saturday night).

But the 5-pin DIN cable connector in your last photo was strictly a consumer item. It was the normal connector for stereo tape recorders such as Uher, Braun or Revox. If you ever see a Telefunken receiver or integrated amp from the late 1960s/early 1970s, it will have those connectors on the back, just where U.S.-oriented equipment would have four RCA sockets for the "tape monitor" loop.

For that matter the 3-pin consumer DIN connectors were not at all rare--my old Norelco (= Philips) "Carry-Corder" used them for its mike input and its ~line output; again, it was the standard input and output connector for mono tape recorders of all kinds for decades. Yes, the pins would line up with your microphone's Tuchel connector but as I recall there was only a plastic surround, no metal shielding. And you definitely want shielding on any microphone plug, because that's the one place where the modulation leads have to run parallel rather than twisted.

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:17:18 PM by DSatz »

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »
DSatz is absolutely correct - it's a standard 3-pin Tuchel.

In the UK you can get the sockets from Canford Audio - they call them BINDER (but it's the same thing).

The 3-pin cable socket is their part number 43-303 and they are £4.31 each (about $8).

details are HERE

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 12:58:57 PM »
I appreciate that. I thought it was. When I described this to the person they said it was not he tuchel.. Good to know.. I will look into the new connectors..

I have only used xlr mics so this was new for me..

Again thanks for all your help.

A :D

www.motb.org

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »
The BBC used to insist on Tuchel connectors for mics in the old days.

Two reasons:-

1) The connectors were self-cleaning as you plugged them on and off.

2) The screw connector held the connector firmly all round, rather than the XLR that only locked on one side.

Personally I prefer the new Neutrik EMS connectors now.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »
are the schopes mini 5-pin binders also 'tuchel'?

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:31:33 PM »
DSatz

Thanks for all that. I am on business in Syracuse so had little time to respond... The connectors I have are metal with shielding just not connected on one of the cables. The black din portions are insulating material. After the rebuild they are very reliable. I would like to get gold versions of them if possible.

Does anybody know of people selling these in the states?

Are there any right angle versions?

I have to use the t-power to 48v. converters on these.

The mics sound great.. Not bad for $800 complete pair with cables and converters!

Thanks again for all your help on these...

A

www.motb.org

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »
jerryfreak, I believe Schoeps' small Binders for the two-channel Colette cables are from ... Binder, of all people. As in, www.binder-connector.de or in the U.S., www.binder-usa.com .

--best regards

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »
I've been looking at the binder catalog. Is anyone familiar with the specification for the tuchel 3pin ... Does the standard correlate to one of the M standards ala M5 M8?...

I would love to find the right connector. They seem to have gold contact right angle connectors but I am at a loss as to the thread standards of the locking ring.... I can measure the pin spacing ....

If someone has this info I would appreciate some guidence...

Thanks as always..
A :)

www.motb.org

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »
Looking forward to finding these myself, for the two CMT 44's I've got coming. I also tried to find the right one in the Binder catalogue, but it is a bit confusing.

Sitting in Honolulu Airport heading to NAMM in Anaheim. If Schoeps has a booth I'll ask them about it.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »
Did some research on this yesterday on the NAMM floor.

Amphenol guys say to get part number on the website www.amphenol-tuchel.com
and then order through TTI. 1-800-CALL-TTI will get a number for the nearest TTI distributor.
These are part of the C091 series.

Had a great chat with Uwe Sattler, Technical Director for Sennheiser USA. Uwe mentioned that Tuchel was a manufacturer's name, like Neutrik, and that these are 1/2" DIN connectors. Binder is one source he mentioned, also Sennheiser parts in Ct. may have some limited availability.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 05:12:56 PM »
He's right--Tuchel was acquired by Amphenol many years ago, but you can visit the combined Web site on www.amphenol.info/en/index.shtml . The product group of interest here is "Circular Connectors C 091 A":

www.amphenol.info/subseries/circular-connectors/C-091-A-Screw-Interlock/21.html

--best regards

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
He's right--Tuchel was acquired by Amphenol many years ago, but you can visit the combined Web site on www.amphenol.info/en/index.shtml . The product group of interest here is "Circular Connectors C 091 A":

www.amphenol.info/subseries/circular-connectors/C-091-A-Screw-Interlock/21.html

--best regards

Thanks for that! If I could +t big time!
A

www.motb.org

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com