Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DC offset?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
DC offset?
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:04:45 PM »
Any general idea of how prevalent this is in modern recorders?  Is it a good idea to just check "remove DC offset" when normalizing?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: DC offset?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:10:40 AM »
The couple of ADC units I've tested contain little if any DC offset, and what shows up seems triggered not by the ADC but by the content; PA based stuff seems to trip the DC offset sensor in Ozone more than natural sounds of similar loudness/frequency.

It's a cold day when I don't HPF anything under 15hz or use the delivered offset filter, so it's moot in my book.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline achalsey

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:44:31 AM »
The couple of ADC units I've tested contain little if any DC offset, and what shows up seems triggered not by the ADC but by the content; PA based stuff seems to trip the DC offset sensor in Ozone more than natural sounds of similar loudness/frequency.

It's a cold day when I don't HPF anything under 15hz or use the delivered offset filter, so it's moot in my book.

Thanks, page.  I'm slacking and have not taken the time to learn post production techniques, like where to run HPFs and when, but are you saying the PA based stuff triggers the offset sensor unnecessarily?

I don't know anything about it, but just started applying the DC offset filter to post production and was curious if it was actually needed with a decent ADC.  I've never noticed any offset when looking at wave forms before.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
The DC offset filter should not do any harm. I just "centers" the sound wave and does not change the sound in any way. Therefore, I always have it checked in Ozone.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

Thanks, page.  I'm slacking and have not taken the time to learn post production techniques, like where to run HPFs and when, but are you saying the PA based stuff triggers the offset sensor unnecessarily?

I won't directly answer that question since I don't have a good answer but I will say that I don't think the offset that is reported is coming from your ADC, thus I don't think it's truely DC offset because it's not consistant.

That said, I don't think it hurts as Sabastian pointed out since it's purely a headroom issue.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline achalsey

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »
Okay, cool.  Thanks guys.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com