Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: install new disk drive when part of dual drive tower?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
install new disk drive when part of dual drive tower?
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
I think my DVD burner has crapped out which is the primary disk drive.
It's linked to a secondary drive read-only below it.  Both drives are linked with the IDE/PATA single cable where one is primary, second is "slave": http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/27-106-085-04.jpg

Naturally, i didn't realize this until after and opened up my tower.

The new DVD/BluRay drives all seem to utilize SATA type:
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/27-106-254-04.jpg

So, what's the proper way to install a new drive like this?
Can the secondary drive run off "slave" pin alone, or should i swap it out to "primary" pin? 
I don't think i have an available SATA link since I just installed a new 500GB drive a few months back and might have used the last slot on the main board.

any ideas are appreciated!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: install new disk drive when part of dual drive tower?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »
If you only have one ATA/IDE drive, set the jumper so it is the primary/master drive and use the end connector on the cable.

If you don't have an available SATA connector on the motherboard you can purchase an add-in card so you can use more SATA devices, such as the DVD/BluRay you just purchased; otherwise you will have to delte one of your current SATA drives to use the new DVD. If you have a small SATA hard-drive, transfer all your data from it to the new 500GB drive, then remove the small drive and use the newly freed SATA connector for your new DVD.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »
About the SATA drive, what he said.  Get a PCI card.   When you do, get a card with an eSATA port so that you can attach a RAID or another big eSATA box if you decide to.

With the PATA drive, unless your motherboard is vintage, it shouldn't matter.  Modern BIOS should auto-detect attached ATS devices.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »
thanks guys...i'll see what i can figure out!
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com