Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: skm-140 set or MBHO with actives?  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
skm-140 set or MBHO with actives?
« on: November 04, 2004, 01:53:51 PM »
I really really want to buy a more stealthy set up and I am considering either
Neumann km-140's with their active cables or the MBHO's with actives.

I can only afford about $2,000.00. Any opinions on which set up is "better"

Will be taping in small clubs mostly.

thanks
colin

Occasionally....music mics record

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: skm-140 set or MBHO with actives?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:16:06 PM »
I like the Neumann sound a little better, just my personal taste. Plus for stealth the neumann caps are a little smaller since the MBHO's have that long connector that sticks out the back. Or if you want the best sound dig up a little more $$ and get the B&K 402x compact series.  :)

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 02:28:06 PM »
I ran the km140s and the very similar km184s for years, and would highly recommend them.  I haven't gotten too much of a chance to listen to MBHOs, but from what I've heard, I prefer the neumanns.

Another option to think about if you can wait 3 or 4 months is to get AKG capsules and the JK Labs ECMS box and active cables.  I just got this set up and love it.  JK Labs makes a custom box that allows you to run the ck6x series capsules (for the 480 and 460 mic series) without the mic bodies using a custom active cable set up.  You could get the JK box/actives and a pair of the AKG ck61 card caps for about $1250 new, or pick up the JK box with both the ck61 card caps and ck63 for about $1650 new.  Only downside is that there is a 3-4 month wait to get the JK Labs box.  This setup is very compact, definitely good for very low profile work, and stealth too if you're good at smuggling things in.  The AKG caps and active cables are about the same size as a neumann or mbho setup, but instead of having the mic bodies in your gear bag, you'll have the JK Labs box which is about 4"x3.25"x1.25".

Another option you might want to think about.  It sounds great, it pretty compact, and will be a bit cheaper than your other options.  Personally, I think the ck61 card cap setup produces a tape that is on par with the km140s (different flavor, but both are very good).  IME, the ck63 hyper setup is far better than the km150 hypers though if you want to add that to your taping arsenal at some point.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 03:37:12 PM »
I can afford $2000 now there is no way I'll make it to $4000, it will all go up me nose.....

I would buy the B&K 4022's for sure.....only if....

I like the Neumann sound a little better, just my personal taste. Plus for stealth the neumann caps are a little smaller since the MBHO's have that long connector that sticks out the back. Or if you want the best sound dig up a little more $$ and get the B&K 402x compact series.  :)

Take care,
Ben

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 03:41:56 PM »
Get the Neumanns you wont be sorry and you wont look any where else. Of course my opinion is very bias since I own a pair. ;)

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 03:42:08 PM »
I can afford $2000 now there is no way I'll make it to $4000, it will all go up me nose.....

I would buy the B&K 4022's for sure.....only if....

Take care,
Ben

used 4022s arent 4k.

used 4022s are like 2250-2750

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 04:21:31 PM »
I've run both and I really liked each for different reasons. I do prefer the neumann sound as it is a little more colored. The mbho's are great when coupled with the proper pre/ad as they can be pretty bright. My advice is to find some tapes of each an listen. I can supply you with a sample of each if you'd like
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:23:34 PM »
Neumann  but I too am biased ...but for a reason ;)   Surprised nobody has mentioned MG's

jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 04:41:07 PM »
he's looking for an active setup

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 04:42:03 PM »
Neumann  but I too am biased ...but for a reason ;)   Surprised nobody has mentioned MG's

jah

Not really stealthy, which is what he was looking for.  But again, if you want to go with Gefell's and want something stealthy, you can get a JK Labs box and active cables for running the gefell caps.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 05:56:23 PM »
one advantage I can see for the mbho setup is the hypers. The ka500 is a nice sounding cap and is a hell of lot more affordable than the ak50's. But with that said, I run my cards everywhere and there are only a few rooms that i don't really like them in. the neumann cards seem to be forgiving, but the itch for hypers almost made me buy some MG hypers a coupla weeks ago.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 07:41:19 PM »
You all should check out Doug Oade's thought on this thread...

must have been in a bad mood!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 07:49:21 PM »
I've run both and while I liked both, I found the Neumann's a significant cut above the MBHOs.  If I was going strictly stealth on a budget, I'd strongly consider JK Labs box + AKG caps.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 08:18:19 PM »
I've run both and while I liked both, I found the Neumann's a significant cut above the MBHOs.  If I was going strictly stealth on a budget, I'd strongly consider JK Labs box + AKG caps.

Yep the C61 capsules IMHO are very close in sound to my favorite, the DPA cardioid mics. Plus you get the ability to change caps, the CK62 omnis can sound absolutely KILLER, got WSP 7/14/99 KC, MO on 482> V2>ADC20 recently and couldn't stop listening to it, such a nice even sound from bottom to top.

I agree with Todd R in preferring the CK63 hyper caps over the 150's, the 150's are way too bright-sounding for me, although  I have to admit that in comparison with cardioid tapes, hyper tapers almost always sound too bright to me in general (and the slightest bit "tunnel-y")

Peace,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 02:51:21 PM »
I don't know how stealthy your looking to get, but there's also Schoeps MK4 > Nbox. Right around $2k if you find a pair of used MK4.

Sorry to be a schoeps pimp :)
Retired Taper

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 03:34:30 PM »
Never heard a ck6x » JK Labs tape I didn't like.

-Kevin

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 03:55:21 PM »
I have listened to both of these mics extensively, as have most people, for the record I love MBHO's and have heard consistently great recordings with them, however the MBHO mics lack the refinement and precise sound reproduction that other mics can offer including the Neumann's, in my experience the 140's will be on a different and higher quality level than will be the 603a's, so unless the 140's are vastly more expensive than the 603a's you should go with the 140's

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 08:30:26 PM »
who makes and sells the NBox?

I don't know how stealthy your looking to get, but there's also Schoeps MK4 > Nbox. Right around $2k if you find a pair of used MK4.

Sorry to be a schoeps pimp :)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 01:44:28 PM »
FWIW I run the MBHO 648a instead of the 603a.  They are smaller and don’t have that silver connector.  They have a fixed cable, only take 48v, and can not be run with full bodies.  I think they are less expensive than the 603a’s.  My guess is that you can get a new pair of 648a’s, hypers, and cards for 2K.  Put them both in one schoeps shock and you are good to go.  You don’t see many people using these and I am not sure why.  I could get some photos up if you like,
Ed   
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 07:35:19 PM »

JK Labs, if I am not mistaken, makes an active setup now for the M20, M21 & M27 caps that fit on the SMS2000 series mics. One COULD purchase just the desired caps (to remain stealthy) and have JK Labs build an active setup. I suggest this because the whole SMS series mics with caps are almost $2000 new. The active setup from what I am told is over $1200; but just the caps and active setup would bring you to the $2K mark you have to spend. Now while this indeed would be a worthy stealth setup, it would not (again from what I am being told) not as quiet of a pre section as the stock SMS2000 mic bodies MG has. But I have not done a AB comp. The MG SMS series are very quiet, excellent sounding mics!!

I gave the Neumanns, Scheops, AKG's and MBHO's alll a hard listen before ponying-up to the MG's, BUT I didn't desire a stealth setup either so just another criteria to consider!! Once again is is all just subjective opinons based on personal listening tastes.....have fun!! Its OK to be a gear slut!! Just give the shit a chance!!!  :-*

Peace,
LoS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 07:37:39 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 01:34:57 AM »

JK Labs, if I am not mistaken, makes an active setup now for the M20, M21 & M27 caps that fit on the SMS2000 series mics. One COULD purchase just the desired caps (to remain stealthy) and have JK Labs build an active setup. I suggest this because the whole SMS series mics with caps are almost $2000 new. The active setup from what I am told is over $1200; but just the caps and active setup would bring you to the $2K mark you have to spend. Now while this indeed would be a worthy stealth setup, it would not (again from what I am being told) not as quiet of a pre section as the stock SMS2000 mic bodies MG has. But I have not done a AB comp. The MG SMS series are very quiet, excellent sounding mics!!

I gave the Neumanns, Scheops, AKG's and MBHO's alll a hard listen before ponying-up to the MG's, BUT I didn't desire a stealth setup either so just another criteria to consider!! Once again is is all just subjective opinons based on personal listening tastes.....have fun!! Its OK to be a gear slut!! Just give the shit a chance!!!  :-*

Peace,
LoS

The owner of that MG active cable system should contact me. I don't think the unit in question can be performing to specs. The DVC's way of telling you that it is in need of a little TLC is to force you a notch or two up on the record dial.  I.e, you're 6 to 12 dB down wrt s/n ratio..  (Valid for all our systems built for capsules in need of a polarizing voltage).   

Jon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com