Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick & dirty band practice recording  (Read 1528 times)

Offline beatnikbrown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Quick & dirty band practice recording
« on: November 26, 2004, 12:59:31 PM »
I met a guy named Chris on the plane from Philly to Cincinnati on Thanksgiving who told me about this site. Very cool. Thanks buddy!

Quick question -- I searched some past threads but couldn't find an answer. Our band likes to record our practices so we can evaluate song structure, hear what works, etc. We've been using some old piece of crap CD recorder, but that's broken now, so we need something new.  Basically, we're not after amazing sound quality, but we do want to be able to go directly to CD so our various members can listen to it in the car on the way home while it's still fresh in the mind, and we don't really have time to fool around with going to hard drive on our drummer's old slow computer.

So what's out there? We'll plug a room mic or two into a little mixer and ---? Any good, relatively cheap CD recorder recommendations?

Thanks, Dave.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
Re: Quick & dirty band practice recording
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 12:05:50 PM »
I know this is what your looking for per se, but I think its the best solution.
JB3>Firewire>Laptop>Burn. Depending on the speed of your burner your looking at  around 8 mins, and out the door.  Plus its fairly inexpensive.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
Re: Quick & dirty band practice recording
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 12:03:43 PM »
If mobility isn't an issue, I'd go with desktop computer and some sort of DAW (like the Tascam us-224 or us-428), that would give you the most flexability for a small price.  For room mic's you could get away with either rode nt2's (not bad for vocals either), akg 391's, or some studio projects mics.

For a barebones system you could just run into a mixer or pa, and use the rca out's into a jb3 or laptop, or desktop.
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com