Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using MK5's w/ J-Disc  (Read 1793 times)

Offline SonicSound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Using MK5's w/ J-Disc
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:02:27 PM »
I really enjoyed the results w/ the J-Disc (MK5's) from Langerado and was just curious if using a MK2 would have any major impact.

Form Juerg Jecklin's paper:

C. The Jecklin disc in practice
I. Microphones for recording with the Jecklin disc
For recording with the Jecklin disc, sound pressure microphones must always be used, i.e. "real" sound pressure microphones. Mircophones with a switchable directional characteristic, insofar as they are designed as double diaphragm microphones, may not be used.

From Schoeps:
The MK5 operates with only one membrane, but offers two selectable directional patterns. The pattern is selected purely by mechanical means, via a slide switch on the side of the capsule.

Is the MK5 a "real" sound pressure mic?  And if not what is the impact in using it in a J-Disc configuration?

SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Using MK5's w/ J-Disc
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 01:29:54 PM »
+T thanks for the input.

The MK5's are a two pattern capsule card/omni.  I have tried the J-Disc w/ the MK'5 in the omni setting.  My question is are the MK5's "real" omni's like the MK2's and if not what is the impact/what am I missing by not using true omni's.  If I had a pair of Mk2's I would try but went with the MK5's.

Any other input is appreciated

try it.

sorry, I can't answer directly to that capsule, but I'm not intimately familiar with Schoeps.

I was ready to run a baffled card pair, when I realized a serious problem with the mic. So I resorted to a normal baffled omni pair. i'm really looking forward to trying the baffled cards though as soon as I can.

With that in mind,...
A lot of the stereo techniques that we refer to are, or have been, designed to be used in much more ideal circumstances than we use them in. We've adapted time and again to make those techniques work, with our own tweaking.
The official Jecklin papers are quite specific in what is recommended for the j-disc, and more specifically, the adherance to exacting mic placement standards,.... but guess what? We've proven that flexibility is ok. Other mics drastically benefit from the baffle as well as what is specifically prescribed. So, for them to so that any other mic, other than their own specifications nullifies what we've done now for several years in extended experiments, and has been proven out to not be necessarily so, nor correct. So, I refuse to let that be so easily dismissed when the proof of working away from the rigid specifications has been proven to be totally acceptable, and is evident time and time again, almost without falter.

With that, once again, I say,... try it, and report back.
Whats the worst that can happen?
V3, 744t

Offline 0vu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:18:43 PM »
The MK5, when operating in omni mode is a true pure pressure transducer. It uses a single diaphragm and is switched between omni and cardioid by opening and closing ports/vents in the capsule structure. When the ports are closed the capsule is open on one side only and functions as a single diaphragm pressure transducer; when they're open, the capsule functions as a combined pressure gradient/pressure transducer resulting in a cardioid response.

The only really noticable difference between an MK2 and an MK5 in omni is that the MK5 has a slight HF lift. There are also some slight differences in the off axis respone but these are very very small and would be hard to hear in any practical application.

If you're working at anything other than very close mic positions to the source, a little HF lift helps couteract the HF losses associated with distance in a reverberant sound field and helps restore a flat HF response.  An MK2 captures the signal more accurately but, due to these HF acoustic losses, it sounds dull in comparison. However, when used close up - where HF acoustic losses are smaller/non existent - the completely flat MK2 prevents an unnaturally bright sound caused by the HF emphasis in the MK5.

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 02:02:40 PM »
+T
Just the answer I was looking and hoping for - the mk5 is a single dia true omni.

Thanks!  ;D
V3, 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com