Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Squeezbox / Duet- Networking drive, can it be done?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Squeezbox / Duet- Networking drive, can it be done?
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »
Looking to move all music to HD and listen via modified squeezebox.  I don't want to purchase another computer just to run the software and to power/connect the external drive.

If my router (linksys) has a usb, I assume I can connect the drive.  This way when the PC is on and slimdevices is running (minimized) an the wife wants it in the bedroom, I can still listen in the basement.

Am I totally off here or should this work if the PC can point to the drive?

Thanks,
SC

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Squeezbox / Duet- Networking drive, can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
Yup, this can be done... I'm looking for a similar solution, but I don't trust a USB hard drive for the long term (they run a little hot, and are likely to get knocked around).  If you're just moving stuff to the USB drive on a temporary basis, go for it... check out the squeezebox forums for more info:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Most people are going with NAS (Network Attached Storage) solutions like the Drobo, Buffalo Terrastation, QNAP, etc. that provide RAID backup for the files. Once again, this may be overkill for you, but if you're looking to go 'totally diskless' - I'd make sure you have back-ups.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Squeezbox / Duet- Networking drive, can it be done?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:01:22 AM »
Yes, you can do that, as long as your PC can map a drive to the device and you have decent network connectivity, you should be all set.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com