Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: car systems  (Read 2404 times)

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
car systems
« on: May 01, 2004, 02:16:46 PM »
i am thinking i'd like to get a nicer car stereo.  I cant do it all at once due to monetary issues, but want to start somewhere.

I dont know a lot about the car systems and am hoping someone can help out with the best order to go in.
I am thinking of upgrading the face plate first to get more power sent to the speakers.  A face with a multi-band EQ would be very helpful...
SoundTrack is having a large sale and free same day installs right now.  Sounds like a good deal, but maybe not  :-\
Would this be best or would new speakers work well instead?  I can't afford a power amp or woofer quite yet.  

thanks
phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re:car systems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 02:28:18 PM »
what do you have at the moment?  depending on what you have already, you might be better off replacing speakers first

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 06:26:47 PM »
well i replaced the face first.  It's a stock subaru system.  POS.
I got a Pioneer face/cd player that has 3 band eq, 40/50/80/120 hz HPF settings, and a whole slew of other eq options, so i think this should help out.  
$190 installed.
Speakers are next.  Best Buy has a coupon book for 30% off speakers and 20% off installs.  
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 02:05:07 AM »
save the cash and do the install yourself... installs are a ripoff unless it's custom shite, IMHO.  Check and make sure that Pioneer has preamp outs, because you'll probably want to add an outboard amp later.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 10:44:26 AM »
If you've got the $$$ get a mark levinson system from your lexus dealer and install it yourself.  The system comes with head unit, amp, speakers and sub.  All designed with the audiophile on the move in mind.  

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline adventuregeorge

• Taperssection Member
  • Work, play hard, and... Drink Milk!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 03:23:33 PM »
Save your money until you can get a good pair of speakers, especially for the front.  I got a pair of JL Audio xr525-cxi component speakers.  These babies are awesome!!!  They may run about $250-300, but they are worth it.

After you got the speakers get a sub and amp combo.
You can get great deals for $200 to 300 or less on ebay!!

For the most part you'll have a kick ass system.  They only thing I would add after is a "good" quality amp (JL e2150 series)  NOW you'll have the best damn ass kicken system around.

lastly, if you buy the system in steps ( like most of us do) think the of big picture on how you want to end up.

;D

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 10:33:17 PM »
yea man, go JL, if i had the cash i would.  Still stuck with my sony deck, and rockford subs, but it can't be beat for under $500
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com